Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have seen a decline in the amount of fish I have caught in the last two years (since the herring regulations started, Just a thought.) I troll with downriggers exclusively and the amount of fish marked and my catch ratio has fallen dramatically. I fish the same spots, I have every lure imaginable and I just can't put my finger on it. I would catch 20-40 fish a day easily (on a good day) Could this be due to an overabundance of herring and the fish have already gorged themselves and a lure just doesn't entice them anymore? Is it the warm 3-4 days and the following rains that screwed things up? Last year we had a tremendous amount of rain so that's what I blamed it on, but what about this year? I know I'm not the only one here that is having this problem. I fish the Norrie Point-Kingston area. In mid-April in Newburgh I slammed over 40 fish in 6-7 hours and thought it was going to be a banner year. Seems I am either not marking any fish or when I am marking, they just won't eat, strange. Any thoughts.

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they are all up river ready to spawn any moment.
Just speculation here. - not based in any kind of knowledge
just reports and pictures.

·
TRUE GRIT Off Shore Fishing Team
143 Posts
I was out Tuesday night and marked monsters in Cornwall bay area herring two. was using plugs , herring whole and chunk along with bloods but no takers. So they are here. Most Everyone I spoke to coming in states the last two times I went out used sands they also reported they were hitting with the tides and then stopped. I'm gonna be out tomorrow and catch the two PM cycles and switch to sands.... Wish us luck. :yay:

·
Super Moderator
1,111 Posts
yes jim they have indeed started to spawn up here . their has been a couple of charter boats up here who have netted a big female and have caught a male in the net at the same time.... the only down side is when people are marking alot of big fish on their radar's it could be anything . but from my expierance's around here when they are in full spawn mode they aint feeding. we will see . the herring that wert here have already spawned we watched them do it. now we just hope to catch some of the stripers that are on their way back or late comers

·
Registered
140 Posts
We started off the season well, getting 10 fish on our first trip (4/29). But after that, the season hasn't been as good as it normally is in the Kingston area. It seems like one big part of the run moved North of the area, and the rest stayed down in Newburgh. We have never marked so few fish (of course, the days we go are not often the best since we have to plan far in advance).

One thing I can say is we haven't been skunked in quite a few years (until recently). This year, out of 4 trips, we have been skunked twice. We always have quite a few fish over 30" in the boat by now, and a few over 35". We have yet to go over 28". After the last few years, I wouldn't have thought all that to be possible. We even tried live herring the other day with no results!!!

Changing tactics doesn't seem to help if the fish are few and far between. Many of the fish we marked on the graph the other day were quite small. The few that we saw landed were also quite small with one exception.

I think this has to do with the water temperatures. The average water temperature in Poughkeepsie has almost exactly followed the 2004 season. We had similar problems in 2004, although we managed not to get skunked and got some decent fish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i havent been doing to good, last year we had some nice fish by now in the 38-42 range and this year the biggest has been 28 all in the same location as last year and using the same bait live herring, could just be the times ive been out, but some other people i know are saying the same thing oh well mabey it will get better this next week

·
Registered
87 Posts
We mainly drift bloods and sands in the Lower/Mid-Hudson. No trophies in the 4 or 5 times that I've been out. The best fish that graced the floor of my bluefin was a 33" male; I practice C.P.R. so he'll be getting some play very soon :whistle:.

A few observations on the season:
  • I've never marked so many fish with lock-jaw!
  • Most larger schools recently have been in the deepest section of river in the upper-portion of the water column (~ 60degrees)
  • The majority of takes have been delicate at best...better results when holding rods...sometimes 1 in each hand.

·
Official Member
47 Posts
yes jim they have indeed started to spawn up here . their has been a couple of charter boats up here who have netted a big female and have caught a male in the net at the same time.... the only down side is when people are marking alot of big fish on their radar's it could be anything . but from my expierance's around here when they are in full spawn mode they aint feeding. we will see . the herring that wert here have already spawned we watched them do it. now we just hope to catch some of the stripers that are on their way back or late comers
I fished from 4-8 pm on Wednesday 5/13/09 in Troy area. The herring that I used for cut bait had not spawned as of then. The surprising thing to me in this area is the amount of herring. I've been doing this thing for a number of years and can't get over the amount of herring this year !

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Overall i would say it is a good year.......but is has been very funny the way it has unfolded.........I had more fish in the early season than ever......at the end of fishing on May 1 i was at 24 fish....including 14 on May 1.

Since then i have caught another 20 to get me to a total of 44 for the season.

2 nice bruisers that were close to 30 lbs........probably another 10 that were 18+ lb fish.

Funny thing is after 5/1 i have struggled to get any serious numbers...every day was a fish or two but that was it..until today when i managed 7 total.

Overall i have made probably 20 trips and been skunked only one time!! All in all a good year but the last 10 days has been disappointing!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I must say that today was a decent day with a total of 22 fish in the boat from 2:00 -10:00 with three fish over 30", that's more like it. Fish are rolling on the surface in Kingston.

·
TRUE GRIT Off Shore Fishing Team
143 Posts
Yesterday True :usa: Grit launched at 1830 hrs. found a decent spot with many fished markings in Cornwall Bay. crew was The "Rod Reaper" and "Thatfishingdude". Water was calm air was warm just a beautiful Night to be out. :notworthy: Rod Reaper landed two back to back within 2 minutes at about 2050 hrs. Then nothing stayed out past the next tide cycle. used bloods herring and sands two fish hooked on sands. No Parasites found in them, and ones taking a bath in buttermilk as I type this :thu:

Attachments

·
Official Member
490 Posts
Team Finn had four more fish then last year so it was good for us. We just suffered three skunkings in three days so it's ending a week soon then last year. May 24th last year the Shack crew and us hammered them about a dozen that day. Thats a week away! :banana::banana::banana:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Numbers wise it has been GREAT ! :banana: Very few skunks.

All the boys in our crew are ahead of last year, and there is still a week or two left.

And the fish seem SO healthy this year, some of the avg fish are fighting like they mean bussiness.

Lots more 18-25lb thick fish ... but we have yet to catch a fish over 40" / 25lbs ? So we are still looking for size :icon_cool2:

That's my take from our base camp.

BB

·
Official Member
18 Posts
I fished from the port of Albany North to Troy today from first light till noon today. All the herring you wanted, stripers...well a few little dinks the size of sunfish.

I looked at a lot of water with my high definition lowrance and can honestly say I did not see one fish that got me excited.

Based on the 300 other boats I saw out about the same story.

My thoughs, so much bait in the river the fish are far south of Albany.

·
Official Member
87 Posts
It has been a very slow season for me. I think I have a lot to learn about these fish. Best fish so far 28". Just havent been out on the right days I guess......
Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,111 Posts
for the last week or so we have done nothing down here in ravena area which is south of albany.... but we have seen alot of spawning activaty.
herring and stripers both.... not good.

·
First Mate
907 Posts
I would have to say that this season was definately worse than last year. Total so far we've only had SIX BITES with only one 25" male being caught. Last year we had OVER 15 hits. I think it's interesting that we haven't seen any four footers entered in the River Basin contest. One positive note I've noticed is the increase in the numbers of herring. I think that Mass., Conn., and Jersey not allowing their use has helped the population tremendously. As a side note on the herring, I have noticed a far greater number of males compared to females. I caught over six dozen herring on Saturday and the ones that were left over I brought home for my girlfriend's grandfather to eat. As I was transferring them from my tank to a bucket I checked random herring and EVERYONE I checked (15 total) was a male! Odd don't you think?

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is only my 3rd. year so I cannot tell now from the past. We have set 2 Pb's this year biggest 22.5#. We have taken 40 fish in 45 hours of fishing total. Blood worms used mostly on the drift.

roughrider out :smile:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts