Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fall has began here in Iowa and water temps are currently 65° in our local reservoir. This past Saturday I made it out on the water with a friend (Big Fish Ron) who has continuously fished this lake for some years. We found the Wipers congregated at the drop offs along some flats. We trolled across and along the drop offs. One wiper came in on my favorite blade but ... that was it. The fish are there but seem uninterested in our presentation. Ron said it has been this way for some time now and he had tried many approaches at these fish but they just seem uninterested.

Some of our thoughts:
Water temps are dropping so their need to feed is slowing .
The shad are fairly good sized and one would keep a Wiper full for some time.
They are staged just off the flats and once in a while one will come up on the flats to feed. (Key - Having ones lure at the right place at the right time)

Any thoughts or experience fishing Wipers with dropping water temps ?

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great info ...thanks for the response !!:smile:
Could it be the falling lure or the quickly rising lure (or both) triggered the strikes vs a straight running trolled bait? Or was the speed the problem ?
I have been thinking a sun fish or chub fished live while anchored might trigger some action.

I'm not going to be able to try them again any time soon as I now have Walleye on the brain. Heading to Rainy river/lake of the woods for a week and then Red Wing a week later for the fall walleye migration.

Sorry ! ....Is "walleye" a bad word ? :smiliedoh:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.