Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Wiper Guru
455 Posts
Re: Wipers and droping water temps

Glad you asked, Tooth. Our temps are on the decline in Indiana, too. We're a little warmer, 71 degrees on 10/3/8, but dropping nonetheless. Here is an interesting thing we noticed on that date. My partner and I would troll over an area and see the fish, but they would not take the lure. One time I went over a point and could see maybe fifty fish under the boat, but none would take the lure. After our third crossing, I stopped on the other side of the herd and suggested to my partner that we relocate. So, we started reeling in and we both caught fish on the retrieve. The same thing happened several times before the day was over. We'd stop the troll, turn off the big motor, start reeling in, and wham! they were on us. We took eight or nine eight pounders that way. Does that add anything to your understanding?

· Wiper Guru
455 Posts
Okay, now we're getting somewhere. I am not sure what that trait is, but I'm glad to see it's not just me noticing it. Now, let's go on to the lures. I was using a Stump Jumper with a 6 inch tail. The lure itself has a lot of movement to it, so it is difficult for me to imagine that a lack of movement in and of itself was a factor. I think Yaz is right, it's that up and down action the attracts them. That. too, is odd because they usually are not attracted to vertical jigging. What we need is a chartreusse lure that goes up and down as you pull it along behind the boat.

Since I mostly cast for wipers, I usually don't notice that they take the lure on the fall, but when casting for them, I rarely use a steady retrieve. Many times I cast out, let the lure settle to the bottom, and jerk it like I'm setting the hook on a big fish. Often they hit just as I pull. I always think they're following it to the bottom and staring at it until I pull. But my partner uses a real steady retrieve, rarely varying his speed, and they seem to take to that as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.