Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fall has began here in Iowa and water temps are currently 65° in our local reservoir. This past Saturday I made it out on the water with a friend (Big Fish Ron) who has continuously fished this lake for some years. We found the Wipers congregated at the drop offs along some flats. We trolled across and along the drop offs. One wiper came in on my favorite blade but ... that was it. The fish are there but seem uninterested in our presentation. Ron said it has been this way for some time now and he had tried many approaches at these fish but they just seem uninterested.

Some of our thoughts:
Water temps are dropping so their need to feed is slowing .
The shad are fairly good sized and one would keep a Wiper full for some time.
They are staged just off the flats and once in a while one will come up on the flats to feed. (Key - Having ones lure at the right place at the right time)

Any thoughts or experience fishing Wipers with dropping water temps ?

·
Wiper Guru
455 Posts
Re: Wipers and droping water temps

Glad you asked, Tooth. Our temps are on the decline in Indiana, too. We're a little warmer, 71 degrees on 10/3/8, but dropping nonetheless. Here is an interesting thing we noticed on that date. My partner and I would troll over an area and see the fish, but they would not take the lure. One time I went over a point and could see maybe fifty fish under the boat, but none would take the lure. After our third crossing, I stopped on the other side of the herd and suggested to my partner that we relocate. So, we started reeling in and we both caught fish on the retrieve. The same thing happened several times before the day was over. We'd stop the troll, turn off the big motor, start reeling in, and wham! they were on us. We took eight or nine eight pounders that way. Does that add anything to your understanding?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great info ...thanks for the response !!:smile:
Could it be the falling lure or the quickly rising lure (or both) triggered the strikes vs a straight running trolled bait? Or was the speed the problem ?
I have been thinking a sun fish or chub fished live while anchored might trigger some action.

I'm not going to be able to try them again any time soon as I now have Walleye on the brain. Heading to Rainy river/lake of the woods for a week and then Red Wing a week later for the fall walleye migration.

Sorry ! ....Is "walleye" a bad word ? :smiliedoh:

·
ISBA Exec
178 Posts
You guys have figured it out. When trolling, we would throw the boat into neutral as we seen fish, and count to 15, letting the lures fall. Then goose the boat, and BAM. Also we caught fish just a we would come out of a tight turn. Same theory, the lures on the inside of a turn move through the water slower, thus dropping. As we come out of the turn, we would speed up, the lure would rise, and the fish would take the inside lure.

Yaz

·
Striper Hunter
61 Posts
We had something similiar when stopping the boat. The difference was we were trolling Gizz 3's which float. We would catch the agressive fish trolling and then catch the non agressive fish by stopping the boat and letting the Gizz 3's rise. It's cool to pick up your rod and see the line jerk in the slack line as you are getting ready to reel in. That happened to us a couple of times the last time out.

·
Wiper Guru
455 Posts
Okay, now we're getting somewhere. I am not sure what that trait is, but I'm glad to see it's not just me noticing it. Now, let's go on to the lures. I was using a Stump Jumper with a 6 inch tail. The lure itself has a lot of movement to it, so it is difficult for me to imagine that a lack of movement in and of itself was a factor. I think Yaz is right, it's that up and down action the attracts them. That. too, is odd because they usually are not attracted to vertical jigging. What we need is a chartreusse lure that goes up and down as you pull it along behind the boat.

Since I mostly cast for wipers, I usually don't notice that they take the lure on the fall, but when casting for them, I rarely use a steady retrieve. Many times I cast out, let the lure settle to the bottom, and jerk it like I'm setting the hook on a big fish. Often they hit just as I pull. I always think they're following it to the bottom and staring at it until I pull. But my partner uses a real steady retrieve, rarely varying his speed, and they seem to take to that as well.

·
Official Member
110 Posts
The other day on the Ohio River we were using 5" Storm Jerkin' Minnows and the boys would look at me in disbelief when I would snap the rod tip up sharply and then have a fish. So I think this time of the year the movement of any lure trying to escape will trigger them.The water here is still 73 but some Walleyes and Saugers are starting to show up too.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.