Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a rod and reel to fish for rockfish on the upper Chesapeake Bay. Looking at a Penn Slammer, any thoughts or recommendation? Is the Penn 760L too much?

GHA

· Registered
225 Posts
depend how heavy the penn slammer is ...they are stiff. i have one that i use for heavy/deep cod jigging and would be way over kill on stripers/no fun. If i were you i'd look for pole thats rated in the 20-40lb line rating. buy a cheaper pole if you want but buy the best reel you can afford. put some 50lb braid on it and your good.

· Official Member
17 Posts
hey man I got 3 penn slammers along with two st croix I had a $200 shimano reel on one of the st croix last year and the handle snapped off with a 29 pounder on the other end, how do I know that b/c it took me 45 minutes and a 1/4 mile to hand feed the line on, so being a commercial guy the only thing I run is Penn, light weight slammer with a smaller penn reel with 30 pound braided 4' flurocarbon leader 7/0 circle hook a bucket of eels and hold on start slamming them then buy a fancy rod then go back to your slammer! fish on brother

· Registered
6 Posts
hi
I use a breakaway LDFC 119-2 XH and ambassaduer 6500 modded with a qtc frame and magged.this is for bait fishing.
Got this done by a guy in SC
Its light, thin and great to fish with.
you can feel a porgie hit with it.
I like magged reels even penn makes a decent one.
Spend the money and you will have alot less aggrevation.
good luck,
Mike P

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.