Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never fished for stripers before so I need some basic info. I reviewed the beginner section but still need more details.

What bait shop around Newburgh sells bloodworms?

Without giving up your sweet spots are there public access points around the newburgh area?

I will be fishing from shore and will start off probably using bloodworms so wondering if I should get a 11' rod? I am a little larger then most so can probably handle it if that matters.

What is the rigging used for blood worms? is there a section on the site that can show me? I could not find it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I tend to ask a lot of questions.

· Official Member
62 Posts
There are several places you can but bloods at in the area. There is a bait shop in cornwall called cealey's. There is a guy on 52 that sells them by orange lake. You can get them in fishkill on rt 9d.

As for equipment you should get an 11' or 12' rod and a reel with a smooth drag that can hold a good amount of line. Depending on how much you want to spend. The tsunami airware is a popular starting rod.

Your setup up should be a baitholder hook tied to a 50lb leader about three to four feet long. Tie that to a barrel swivel 150lb, you then put a fish finder above the swivel then tie the line to the swivel. Three ounce bank sinker usually does the trick.

· Young salt
1,396 Posts
Sorry man too lazy to write this all out again but I posted this some time ago in another forum. Rig them worms up (I prefer sand worms to bloods, they're a little bigger and cost less $$) two at a time with a float and I guarentee if the stripers are around they'll slurp em up real quick. Good luck man hope this helps out!!

StriperHyper ~ Will

Hey there striper nubcake, skip those fish finder rigs all togther and just use a swivel as your slider. Rig up an 18" leader (I use 40 lb test, I wouldn't go lower than that) with a snap swivel on the end and a 6/0 circle hook. If ya find that crabs are stealing ur bait, rig up a float to attach to ur leader. Get yourself a bunch of foam bobbers, a package of colored beads and some Gorilla Glue, that's all ya need. Take your bobber and snap the plastic pieces/hook off and poke a small hole through the center just big enough for your line to pass through. Slide a bead onto the line keeping it 4-6 inches up from the hook, and tie a knot behind it. Then feed on your bobber, another bead on top of that with a knot above it. Put a dab of Gorilla Glue on both knots, and once it's hardened you'll have a nice seal so the float can't slide up/down your line. I'm sure there are more effective methods but this one does the trick for me and I rarely have any problems with it. Make sure ya tie a 3 way swivel directly to your main line, weight on one side and your leader off the other........if ya use a slider you'll end up floating the worms on top as the weight slides further and further up your line. The key to sandworms is the presentation, I do 'em up two at a time. Rig one through the head, feed it 1/2 way onto the hook and let the rest hang down. 2nd one rig through the back, almost like your hanging him on a hanger, and feed the hook slowly through the middle of it's body so it come out through the head between the pinchers. I've read a few posts on here about cutting the heads off of them (either 'cause they bite or to create a blood/scent trail) but I wouldn't. The toughest part of 'em is their head/mouth, I don't know how or why scientifically speaking, but I seem to fling a LOT less since rigging them this way. When the fish are around, they can't resist two helpless worms dangling in unison in the surf. If ya do decide, for whatever reason, to cut part of them to create a scent, I'd lop a little off their tail......though personally I don't bother, if they see 'em, they'll eat 'em. Good luck man, hope this helped!!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response and good info. Of course now that i have two options I will have to start off with one then when I do not get a bite after a couple of hours I will try the other.

StryperHyper: I noticed you are from Maine. Do you know if your set up works on the Hudson?

· Young salt
1,396 Posts
Thats a good question man but in short, I have no idea. That method for rigging worms is best used off the beach with your weight sitting on bottom NOT MOVING, and allowing your worms to dance in the surf. Never fshed the Hudson River man, is it fairly fast moving water??? I would still use the two-worm method IF I'm using worms no matter the venue, but as far as the rig goes that will probably have to change as the conditions dictate. I'm sure you'll get a few more responses from folks local to that particular area but experiment with what ya have......who knows ya may stumble across your own "sure-fire method."

StriperHyper ~ Will

18,706 Posts
Just thread the worm up the shank and dangle some out the back of the hook. Nothing scientific.
Use a high low rig or a single hook tied to a prepackaged leader. Doesnt really matter. Put the weight above the bait or below. Whether it be a three way swivel, a fishfinder or tied to a barrell swivel. Or just use a sinker with some line attached for an easy breakaway if your hung up. Just depends on how you want to present the worm and under what circumstances.
If its rocky use a bank sinker - the pyramids can get hung up easier.
If its in heavy current use the three way with the bait in the middle and the weight out front.
Experiment. Or drag the worm along the bottom real slow like you did when you were 10 years old.

· Rod Havoc
90 Posts
if you can find a spot hold on to it don't lose it, fishing from shore in this area is very difficult. (Plum Point is a Public park theres two sides of the park on the Orange county side (Theirs a New Windsor Side to of the park but it is Permit only ) not far from NB maybe 5 mins or less , it can be hard on weekends people are not nice they wont lend a inch to you, if you tangle there lines up they get very nasty,violent,the hole 9 yards. The Place gets packed on any warm nice weekend, I sometimes go during the weekdays before the after work crowd comes to fish not bad,the park closes at dusk and the police will do ride thru's and then lock the gate. During the run if the boats in the shop I go to the Newburgh Public boat lunch & fish there sometimes (this is key) late night or early morning (its another very popular spot) space is tight and sometimes don't allow you to fish there, other than that if you don't have a house with river access or a boat it can be tricky, theres other spots but due to trespassing, home building and poaching many got fenced and don't have access, don't try any railroad tracks hefty fines " If " they catch you.That's why I had to get a boat. shore fishing got to out of control. Hope This helps any questions please feel free to PM me

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! thanx for all of the info. This place is great. I have no problem getting up early to fish. Is it worth it to get to a spot 4-5 a.m.?

If I get to a spot to fish early and "stake my territory" will I still find the regulars hostile? I generally know the etiquette and have never had a problem fitting in.

Rod reaper: Thank You. No doubt I will be fishing those spot this spring.

When you say "stay away from the RR X" what does this mean? Am I not allowed to walk over the trax or are there access road that we are not allowed to access?

What is the fine and who enforces these Railroad regulations?

I warned you that I ask a lot of questions. I have a million more that I want to ask but do not want to wear out my welcome the first day.

· First Mate
907 Posts
Wow! thanx for all of the info. This place is great. I have no problem getting up early to fish. Is it worth it to get to a spot 4-5 a.m.?

If I get to a spot to fish early and "stake my territory" will I still find the regulars hostile? I generally know the etiquette and have never had a problem fitting in.

Rod reaper: Thank You. No doubt I will be fishing those spot this spring.

When you say "stay away from the RR X" what does this mean? Am I not allowed to walk over the trax or are there access road that we are not allowed to access?

What is the fine and who enforces these Railroad regulations?

I warned you that I ask a lot of questions. I have a million more that I want to ask but do not want to wear out my welcome the first day.
Generally, it's whoever owns the train tracks that enforces the regs i.e. CSX.

· Registered
7 Posts
dont walk over those trax if you cross them you are tresspasing the way this state is they will get money from anywhere they can. legally they can take away everything you have on you from my own personal experience:shocked::anon:

· Rod Havoc
90 Posts
I'm just saying, its not a spot burn its a Public Park, if you fish there you know this place is not a secret, I'm not telling him secrets just lending a helping hand. I don't mind having people fish down there that have a fishing lic. unlike the "others" that put short fish and every thing that moves in a shop rite plastic bag. I'm not letting out any spots that aren't public access or a general areas that people use to walk dogs , fly kites and look at the view. I'm not posting something like this "Hey go here down that trail, go under the oak and past the big rock" I'm not giving any spot a burn just helping, Like if I was to post saying Go to the privet beach George Bush and fish off the Dick Cheney jetty that would be a burn. This place is a (general area), Public Recreational Park .I put in a request to the DEC to come down there a least every day and just to see what the "others" do poor lil fish.
I was fishing down there before it was even known to people when it was a wooden plank bridge with holes about 4 feet wide no paved road just a dirt path, my dad would have to carry me and my brother across the bridge back in the early 90's. NYlawyer pm Sent

Attachments

· Fishing Addict
52 Posts
Striper jim is spot on with rigging advice. I prefer a fish finder rig but see what way u like. Get yourself a shimano baitrunner if your serious and have the cash. The reel will last a lifetime and make your fishing experience better. 10 foot rod is nice size, uglystick or tsunami or what ever u can afford works fine. If you drive along the the roads next to the river on a nice weekend you can easily find the hot spots from the cars parked up and down the road. Google maps and you can find the roads that are follow close to the river than all u have to do is find a spot. Fishing up here has really taken off and it gets crowded on nice days.

· Registered
136 Posts
I believe there is no bad spot on the river. As long as there's room to cast and land fish...I say fish it. I just have a hard time going back to those spots that skunked me!

· Registered
136 Posts
Same here, East side...mostly. A metro north officer checked us out a couple of years ago. He asked us to gather up everything and walk back across the tracks with him. Then he said he was gonna leave, what we do is our business. We hooked up with the old man that day. He said he fished here the day before and some dude got hit by a train...took his leg off. They don't want to take away our fishin, but they want us to be safe.

· Registered
45 Posts
Ive heard multiple stories of people getting hit by trains while fishing over the last few years. Gotta wonder how they manage to do it, trains are some scary shit when they are doin 60 mph, I make damn sure nothin is coming before i cross the tracks. Dont know why anyone wouldnt make sure? Just be careful and use common sense thumbsup.gif

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.