Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this is probably a dumb question to anyone with a few seasons under there belt, but this is my first season in the salt. When do I start thinking about packing up the gear? I have no boat so all fishing is form shore and I live / fish in the Milford/ New Haven region of the LIS. When do the fish leave for the warmer waters? I know that there are still fish around but I tend to be very determined if not always well informed (although I really do try). I just don't want to be standing on the beach tossing Danny's and Slug-go's and the such while the "fisherman" are driving by saying "what the hell is that guy doing out there!? … Fish moved out two weeks ago". I can't get out all that often so I am never sure if I not catching because it's just not the right spot at the right time of if because it's just too late in the season. cadicted.gif

Much that's for any help

· King of Eels
4,227 Posts
lacking experience can be a good thing.... many a fish has been taken after the "sharpies' have hung it up for the season.... my advise.. fish until your gut tells you to call it a season....

I dont fish as late in the fall as I used to , mainly because, it gets ugly here FAST.... having to winterize a boat in a snow storm just is not as fun in my mid 50's as it was in my mid 20's.... neither is late season fishing... my knees ache, my fingers are stiff and IMHO.. one more fish is not going to make my life any richer...

Fish until your sole tells you to qiut... then.. at least your feeling of "what am I missing" will be satisfied...
Tight lines
Roc

· Registered
49 Posts
Re: When to hang it up LONG ISLAND SOUND

HI JIM 202000 i fish the sound more west of you....seems like all the fish are on the bait thats moveing in the open waters, sholes, midsound leadges, (openwaters) ----dont think the shorelines are holding any thing. at least down hear.....mamaroneck. jig in the deeper waters under the bait & at leadges......................billy

· Registered
49 Posts
Re: When to hang it up, LONG ISLAND SOUND

WELL did not hook a thing today jiging deeper spots with structures and leadges, 14 to 30 feet of water. 1 ava37 and a bucktail chartruce& yellow pork traler...working at the same time... tons of bait all depths... mostly working the lower levels just off the bottom..... seems a bit slow hear. ------some guys logs say runs of fish starting the 20th to the 25. ---we will keep on looking......the bass come in this way from the eastriver hudson. some come backthis out out allso. lol not yetshake.gif

· First Mate
163 Posts
One thing is for sure, you can never judge how good the fishing is by how many people are fishing in an area. for example, theres a place I've been fishing off the surf in the upper Chesapeake in November for over 20 years, In the summer there are fishermen there shoulder to shoulder all day long and the fishing stinks, catching a legal size Rockfish is rare, but as soon as the temps drop the place becomes vacant, There is rarely ever anyone else fishing there but me and you can get a limit in minutes if you go at the right time. theres probally people that see me and think "what the hell is that guy doing out there" but if they only knew..thats just one example, I could give many, but the only way to know is to go

· The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
1,148 Posts
lacking experience can be a good thing.... many a fish has been taken after the "sharpies' have hung it up for the season.... my advise.. fish until your gut tells you to call it a season....
What he said, The bottom line with fishing late season is you never know. More than likely the fishing will be slower than during the summer but the fish you catch will be worth the effort. My last fish was in RI last year and I caught it the second weekend in November I only stopped fishing for the year because I like my wife enough to want to keep her. You will know when you are fished out for the year, if it happens Good luck and as long as it's fun where else would you rather be.

· Registered
136 Posts
Keep fishin'! I just came back from Maine and the Stripers are stackin' up along the clam shacks ordering lobster rolls! laughing7.gif

· First Mate
864 Posts
I have caught fish way in to December. If there is bait there will be fish

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.