Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Young salt
1,396 Posts
I would say it's a bit too early man, I'm guessing late April/early may is when they start seeing fish in any sort of numbers down your way. I know mid-May early June is when they start hitting the rivers and beaches up here in Maine. I like the screen name though man :welcomeaboard:. Plenty of reading and learning to do on this site between now and then though.

StriperHyper ~ Will

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys im just real itchy to get out there u know.ive done all my tackle maitnance organized my back hallway which doubles as my fishing/camping storage hangout. changed hooks that needed it from last year etc.my wife and i are still rookies but i felt like i gained alot ofknowledge last year and read every surf casting book i could get my hands on this winter and im super eager to get out there...till then ill keep lurkin on this amazing site this site has kept me stoked all winter but it also has made metruly blue balled or shall i say blue reeled haha see you out there soon.......zootedfisher

· The worlds worst fisherman
50 Posts
I'd suggest to start fishing it now during the fastest part of the tide in the brightest of sun so ur all out of bucktail jigs by the time i get there..... In may.:redbiggrin:

P.s. I hit on a blitz last memorial day at first light, before then it was one or two schoolies here an there. and i started mid april, so any indication of a timeline for ya.

· Registered
656 Posts
thanks guys im just real itchy to get out there u know.ive done all my tackle maitnance organized my back hallway which doubles as my fishing/camping storage hangout. changed hooks that needed it from last year etc.my wife and i are still rookies but i felt like i gained alot ofknowledge last year and read every surf casting book i could get my hands on this winter and im super eager to get out there...till then ill keep lurkin on this amazing site this site has kept me stoked all winter but it also has made metruly blue balled or shall i say blue reeled haha see you out there soon.......zootedfisher
Canal = Red Top. Go there and spend a few bucks. They have a sale starting the 27th of this month. If you keep your cool the guys will treat you right. Ask general questions not specific (where are the big fish and when should I fish) = not a good question. How has the canal been this week? = good question. Are they getting them on top or bottom = good question. What color on top has been producing = good question. Any bait passing through? = good question. What kind = good question. If you haven't fished the ditch before. These are the guy's you NEED to talk to before you head out. BTW don't go there ZOOTED:shocked:

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha u guys r funny my kind of people. So I shldnt go in there and ask were the big ones are and if my huffy combo and balled up wonder bread is a good way to catch em. Haha thanx tho I've never been there I will def check out and don't worry I ll keep my cool and I'll use visene before I go in haha I'm just excited about this year and can't wait to learn more nd more everyday

· Young salt
1,396 Posts
I ll keep my cool and I'll use visene before I go in haha
I could be wrong but I think what BBJ meant was don't go to the canal zooted.....save it for afterwards, you'll be glad ya did!!! Don't underestimate the mental aspect of fishing (especially when targeting the big boys) and keeping a clear head about ya whether on the beach, a jetty, river or fighting the rocks/crashing waves at Montauk. I don't mind having a couple beers while fishing, as a matter of fact I rather enjoy it, but anything more than that is done after the fact when I return home. Not trying to preach to ya man, to each his own, just some friendly advice from a fisherman who's taken his share of lumps over the years unneccesarily due to a cloudy head :a_dreaming:

StriperHyper ~ Will

· Official Member
4 Posts
With the herring already there for a couple of weeks, i'm sure there are stripers to be had.. Talked to a couple of canal rats and they will be thowing this weekend.. Knowing these guys, i'm sure they will pick up a few fish..

· Registered
656 Posts
I could be wrong but I think what BBJ meant was don't go to the canal zooted.....save it for afterwards, you'll be glad ya did!!! Don't underestimate the mental aspect of fishing (especially when targeting the big boys) and keeping a clear head about ya whether on the beach, a jetty, river or fighting the rocks/crashing waves at Montauk. I don't mind having a couple beers while fishing, as a matter of fact I rather enjoy it, but anything more than that is done after the fact when I return home. Not trying to preach to ya man, to each his own, just some friendly advice from a fisherman who's taken his share of lumps over the years unneccesarily due to a cloudy head :a_dreaming:

StriperHyper ~ Will
That's what I meant. Go to Red Top as baked as you can. But fishing the canal straight can be a task. There is a thread on another site about a guy who was rushed to the hospital that split his wig pretty bad after falling a week or 2 ago. Then again I have a friend who literally can't function without being zooted all day:shocked:

· Registered
656 Posts
yo guys, i'm skippin the intro... was at the canal this morning for a couple hours right next to the run. pulled in 2 just under the limit using bomber wind cheaters... looked and felt kinda skinny
let the games begin!!!
tight lines
Myself and another 1000 people who read this will be there before you get a chance tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up thumbsup.gif. Next time keep your EXACT spot to yourself thumbsup.gif Everyone and everyone reads these threads. When you get there tomorrow or the next day there will be people in that same spot. There will also be people 50 yards away trying to fish bait on the bottom ending up in your way of casting bombers. Someone please delete or modify this post????? BTW welcome to the site.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.