Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Capt. Jimmy Samia
50 Posts
Thanks for the info Capt! I have a huge selection of sabikis. I loaded up because I got tired of bait shops being sold out. I will research the different herring so I can identify them easily. I knew about the two species but never cared to tell the difference, not knowing it made much of a difference... Silly me. Does this explain the change in size from early-mid season herring?

Side note... My fiancé jigged up a shad one day last season. Yes, we released it! It really surprised her and put up a good fight on the sabiki rod. I thought it was a small striper at first. Haven't caught one since.....
From what I understand, it is pretty difficult to tell the difference between the two species as they look almost the same and they can even hybridize!
Identification: On the exterior, the Alewife is nearly identical to the closely related Blueback Herring. The surest difference is inside the fish. The Alewife has a silver-gray lining (peritoneum) to its body cavity. The Blueback's peritoneum is black. Alewives are bluish green or bluish gray on the back, silvery on the sides, with faint, dark stripes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My Humminbird 898si turned my 10 fish season into 100 plus seasons the last 3 years.
Yeah last season was my first time with a fishfinder, i got dependent on it though. A couple times I went out and forgot to charge the battery and forgot how to fish without it lol. I got a lowrance Elite-4 gold combo, was thinking about getting a Side Imager but wasn't sure if it'd be overkill on a kayak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Historically, hunting has been a popular recreational activity in the United States, as least as far as I am aware. Hunting is still a popular pastime for many people, including me. With today's technology and alternatives, it's a lot more interesting to think about. In the case of night hunting, thermal vision gadgets such as those found at https://www.agmglobalvision.com/thermal-imaging allow you to do so without any hassles!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts