Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what your bread and butter is when it comes to catching bait. I've only done this a few seasons and I'm still learning a ton each year. For the most part I have caught my bait by jigging in the creeks. This method often times takes longer than I would like but some days are easy peasy. Nearing the end of last year I discovered how easy it is to call them in with as stoolie and net them in the main river. Rocky shores seemed to work well. Unfortunately I started doing this late in the year and as soon as i figured it out, the fishing was rapidly slowing. So typically if jigging didn't work, I would stop in a marina and buy what I need for the trip. Should I be skipping the bait station to try n stoolie them in the river first? I'm uneasy about headin onto the river with no bait, just hoping to catch some.
Also, I did most of my stoolie and netting while standing on shore. Do you guys have any pointers on getting a boat in close to shore to do this? I'm no nervous nancy behind the wheel and the area were in doesn't pose any threats as far as underwater dangers to the boat. Just not sure how close I would need to be to draw some herring my way

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I always have luck in the main river around the bridges witha sabiki rig.....usually get my quota in 10 minutes. Unless the river is muddy.....then I do the same in the streams.

·
First Mate @ Ace Charters
761 Posts
Do you fish the bridges nearer to shore or in the deeper water?
If ya got sonar it will tell ya where there are. If not just ask other boats coming in, where there getting them.

I always jig the main river. My method might be a little different then others.
I (99%) of the time, vertical jig them. I cast out slightly upstream with a 3/8oz. to a 1/2oz. - reeling in and jigging at the same time. For this I like a 7' rod with a nice soft tip.

Sabikis - Hook size 10 - 14... I like 12. Seems some colors work better on different days. You got red wrap with white "wings" - chartreuse wrap with white wings, others have a holographic type wing - and some with a glow bead - either green glow or red glow.

My go to Sabiki is from AHI size 12 Rainbow flash/skin - has both green and red glow beads.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just picked up a humminbird with side imaging and I'm expecting it to be a game changer. Our previous unit was good for nothing but depth and surface temp. Up until now jigging in the river for me has been like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. For locating bass i relied on the navionics app to find areas I thought would hold fish and compared what the App was telling me with what the fish finder was telling me for depth. I've noticed that the sabikis with lots of flash seem to work better. Thanks for the Input guys, keep it coming!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I just picked up a humminbird with side imaging and I'm expecting it to be a game changer. Our previous unit was good for nothing but depth and surface temp. Up until now jigging in the river for me has been like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. For locating bass i relied on the navionics app to find areas I thought would hold fish and compared what the App was telling me with what the fish finder was telling me for depth. I've noticed that the sabikis with lots of flash seem to work better. Thanks for the Input guys, keep it coming!
My Humminbird 898si turned my 10 fish season into 100 plus seasons the last 3 years.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I'm pretty anxious to get out early and test it. Get through the learning curve before the fish are in town. One method I was thinking of was patrolling the shorelines and locating the herring between the boat and the skinny water of the shoreline. Then bust out the ol stoolie and net.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spend a good deal of time fishing while anchored. What can these units do at a standstill? Seems to me the main features of these units work only while moving. Like I said my last unit is a cheap portable that I carried over from reservoir fishing in a rowboat. It did very little for me

·
Tyee
193 Posts
Usually, I pay little attention to the graph when anchored,however when set up properly a good sonar is going to TELL u where to anchor, detailing structure, baitfish, stripers, thermal cline n on n on heck last yeAr heading up to the dam in troy a little up from the Dino bbq what looked like a hump on my sonar was in fact the bow of a boat sticking out of the bottom when I switched over to down imageing, the technology out there is amazing and I didn't spend a ton, actually u can pick up the hummingbird 859 hd di gps combo for about 7 bills, well worth it

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I always rely on my Humminbird whether anchored or drifting......down south in Newburgh the Striper will run at a specific depth and when I see this on the screen I can adjust the depth of the bait then ....... Wham it's game on. I will say down there they are never on the bottom like up toward Albany.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If u have a problem setting your bird up go on YouTube and watch Doug vahrenberg, he knows h birds like the bak of his hand and has many tips n tricks videos
I picked up a humminbird 798 si di last month with taxes, and I've been watching his video a lot. I'm really itching to get out on the water and start learning asap too. . . with this weather that's not going to be a while though.

This will be my first season striper fishing, let alone using a "real" fish finder. I've used a humminbird piranahmax 175c in the past fishing the rondout reservoir. Looking forward to being out on the hudson with my new 15hp evinrude and new fishfinder this year. First year I'll have a trailer and hitch to check out new places too! I'll still be hitting up the reservoir for some good ole trout fishing though!

·
Official Member
580 Posts
I think it depends on where you are on the river. If you are up here near Albany, probably down to the I-90 bridge or so, you can easily jig them once the season is fully under way. South of that I haven't had much luck but then again I don't fish down there a lot. Last year I got a scap net and got some in totally murky water near Kingston off the shore. Up here, if the water is murky, even if you see them on the fish finder, they don't hit so good if at all.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ask ny, I know Herring hang near rocky shores. That's where I have been scapping from. How far from the shore do they hang in good numbers? The area I'm going to try is plenty deep to anchor safely. I just wonder how far from the rocks I can drag them with a stoolie.....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Early season the stoolie is the way to go. I generally get enough to go out and fish, then jig while out there also. If I run out, run back and stoolie some more. Eventually they turn on to the jigs. I've had many people help me out as well. Get 3 guys with stoolies going, gets you out there fast. People I didn't even know, but they knew I needed bait and helped me out. Gotta love fishermen/women.. My gf would be pissed if i didn't add that.. lol

·
Capt. Jimmy Samia
50 Posts
It really depends on what species of herring you are jigging for! Early in the season, the first herring species to show up are the river alewives. They will load up in the creaks and water in the 12ft or less range. Sabiki rigs with the smaller hooks(size 6 Japanese) work good. These herring like colder water and spawn in shallower water than the Bluebacks which typically show up during the first week of May here in the upper Hudson. They are usually down in the 15-20ft range and more towards the center of the channel. You will see these herring on your graph suspended. Sabikis in the size 4 and 6 can work on any given day so don't be afraid to experiment. We usually find that the larger sabikis work better in dirtier water and in the color red, but don't be afraid to experiment.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info Capt! I have a huge selection of sabikis. I loaded up because I got tired of bait shops being sold out. I will research the different herring so I can identify them easily. I knew about the two species but never cared to tell the difference, not knowing it made much of a difference... Silly me. Does this explain the change in size from early-mid season herring?

Side note... My fiancé jigged up a shad one day last season. Yes, we released it! It really surprised her and put up a good fight on the sabiki rod. I thiught it was a small striper at first. Haven't caught one since.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts