Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's a big ass skunk on my back :frown: ... we took a beating today :blackeyerub: !

6 hours today and not even a hook up, we moved, tried anchoring & drifting , live and chunk ... you name it. Just wasn't our day. So these past 2 days have been rough.

There are some fish around we saw get boated, but nothing crazy , just spotty stuff.

Oh well , beats work that's for sure :redbiggrin:

We're going to try our 1st night trip of the season tomorrow.

BB

· Official Member
359 Posts
I think I saw you out there brian, we were in the tri-hull sea cat were you in the white striper boat? we picked up a couple and lost 2 but it was real spotty did a lot of moving around.

· Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not overly concerned , except it's my whole week off and it's slowed down some :smiliedoh:
Probably start slamming them again when i go back to work next week , DOH !!!!

Yella - that was us hello.gif ... were you north of the HH park anchored just south of us in the am ?

· Registered
122 Posts
I sure know that smell on many of my striper outings. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow with the change in weather coming and a west wind instead of an east wind. I'm heading out later tomorrow to fish the outgoing and I'll be putting in at Schodack around 2pm and running north to Albany for bait and I might just stay up there and fish judging by the amount of bass I was marking up there Sunday from Albany up towards the 378 bridge area. Maybe I'll see you out there on the ride up and good luck tomorrowthumbsup.gif

· Official Member
490 Posts
I'm not overly concerned , except it's my whole week off and it's slowed down some :smiliedoh:
Probably start slamming them again when i go back to work next week , DOH !!!!

?
Good week to take wish i could have the nite fishing is good,I couldn't resist the banana BB Good Luck the rest of the week :a_goodjob:

· Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's all good Finny :gob_icon_cheers:

IG - we will be heading out after dinner 7-8pm , no morning trip.
So if your still out before dark we might run into you. hello.gif

· Official Member
359 Posts
the only place that we anchored was just south of the rr bridge and the other bridge(not sure what highway that is, think its I-90)I cant remember what time of the day we saw you. It was chilly with the wind blowing later this morning, but I was happy to atleast get a couple of fish in the boat.

· Lunker
152 Posts
That's fishing. Don't feel so bad. I talked to a few of my friends today when I went down to check on my boat who are all charter captains and they did not have a good day either. I did not even go out. Ended up respooling some rods to get rid of the crap line that I had on two of my rigs. I can't afford any breaking off. We got a tournament to win this Saturday!! I am sure you guys will get into them tomorrow night.

· Registered
1,036 Posts
Brian.....it slowed way down up north as well.....after Friday's all out slam with 14 fish i did the exact same thing Saturday with only 3 fish and Sunday with 2 fish and on Monday i had 0 in the same spot with the same bait....so i went drifting and managed to put a lone fish in the boat to keep my streak of skunkless trips in 2009 intact!!

I think the fact that it was dead low tide in the early morning contributed........i find low tide to be one of the worst times.

· Registered
140 Posts
We got skunked out of Kingston too. We were trolling...didn't mark many fish, and the fish we marked never even tried to hit! Changing lures did no good. I have not seen the Hudson stripers that shut down in quite a while...I only saw one other fish boated.

· Gulp! smells funny
114 Posts
Water temp dropped a couple of degrees......my guess is that along with the low tide at first light is causing a slowdown.
I think you are dead on right about the temp. There are still tons of stripers around, as evidenced by all the huge marks on the fish finder last night, they just don't feel like feeding right now I guess.:Marine:

· Registered
140 Posts
Usually we do get a temperature level-off and a drop around this time. In my previous fishing logs (2004-2008), fishing May 4th and 5th was usually tough for some reason (must be a good time for a cold front to come through with North or Northeast winds). The temperature drop occurs right before a strong temperature increase on a normal year though, so I would expect the fishing to pick up soon.

Funny thing was...we didn't see or smell any skunks while driving to the river!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.