Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
First Mate
654 Posts
Incorrect. http://www.lamiglas.com/prod_indiv.php?groupid=25

I also must agree with Sudsy 100% on the AFAW Estuary. Incredible backbone in the lower 1/2 of the rod, yet it has a very sensitive tip perfect for plugging, working pencils, and eeling. It's light and tough with a sweet spot in the 2.5 to 2.75 oz range. My go-to rod 90% of the time. thumbsup.gif
Sorry me bad on the Lami XS 101 ms I should have known as I looked at some of the surf-jetties also a little while back. :smiliedoh::smiliedoh: When I had searched before I just could not find the model for sale, I'm sure I just did not look enough partly due to the mid $250 plus prices.(to much for me right now) Where can a person find the AFAW Estuary? Is this custom, as I always here Tommy's name in any searchs I do. I agree the rods are great and I may have assumed wrong with his price area due to his mentioning of the Okuma rods. I would love most of the rods Sudsy mentioned but for this year are over my head. A few months out of work with no disability really hurts the pocketbook

With building your own rod (I had looked into it) is it any cheaper? It seemed to cost the same or more when your done with all the parts. The bonus is it's custom to how you want it, but can get costly for something someone has never done. My problem was guide placement.

·
Rubber Shad Ex-spert
309 Posts
I think sudsy is right about rod selection.

I only recomend a shorter rod because the rock outcroppings I fish are very ugly. They are 10' minus sized stones, with no attempt at civilian purposes.

http://www.tford.com/images/projects/allerton3.jpg

In comparison, the cape cod canal is custom tailored to people walking all over it.

Rocks are different all over the place. I've seen some really nice jetties made for human interaction, and I've seen some army engineer corp stuff that isn't friendly at all. Ten foot minus stones aren't friendly, and in such circumstance, I wish I had a stout 7' rod.

·
Banned
758 Posts
I'm not going to point anyone out in particular but there's some really bad information in this thread.

I've lived my entire life around jetty country in NJ, been fishing them since I was old enough to ride my bike there.
I've used everything from an 8' Abu rod with a Penn SS 4500 (a long time ago) to a an 11' 9" BreakAway LDFS 119-2 with a ZeeBass 27.

In my experience something in the middle is the best all around fit.

I've been badly schooled by a few larger fish with the 8' outfit and the 12' outfit is too much effort to fish for any amount of time.

Over the years I've narrowed it down to a few rods that I fish off the rocks regularly.

AFAW 11' Estuary - amazingly light and extremely powerful, can do anything from pencil popping to eeling. I use this 75% of the time.

Lami XS 101 MS, 10'. Great rod, takes a beating, does most everything well. To be honest since I got the Estuary I never use this one anymore.

Lami GSB 1321m - 11'. Long, heavy, too much work to plug with, but as a dedicated pencil and popper rod it's unbeatable. I use this during the spring run when we have 20# to 40# fish blitzing on bunker and I need a beast of a rod that can throw big lures very far and that can horse a cow in before some googan idiot in the mob throws over my line.

Lami XSRA 108-4 - 9', light and snappy, perfect for late season when 90% of the fish are schoolies. Has enough backbone to deal with a larger fish if it should come along.

There are a few others I use but they're not off the rack, some haven't been made in 25 years so I won't bother listing them in this thread.

As a sidenote, I don't have either (yet), but I've had the opportunity to test the new St Croix Mojo and the 10' Seeker Baby Uala and they would also make excellent choices.

If I could only have one rod, hands down it would be the AFAW Estuary :sydan:

AFWIW - PowerPro is trash, breaks at the mere whisper of the word barnacle. I went down that road long ago and refuse to ever touch the stuff again.
I mainly use 20# Fireline on my older reels (Penn 706's, Mitchell 496 and 396 PUM........) and 30# Suffix and 20# Stren Superbraid on my modern style reels. No problems at all.

And the #1 most important piece of gear for the jetty fisherman - KORKERS !! Do NOT go rock hopping without them, or some other, equally good, brand of spiked footwear.
All good stuff, especially the korkers!

However I disagree with the "there is a lot of bad information in this thread" the information in the thread are people's opinions of what they would use on the jetty. I don't think there is an ultimate correct answer to the original posters question, its a matter of personal preference. Almost every thread in this site is a matter of opinion and not actual fact, helpful suggestions to steer someone down the right path...IMO!!!!!

What I do think is that some opinions have a bit more "time" behind them if you know what I am saying.

In response to Jersey, there is an anti-thesis to every post here and you happened to decide to come up with one for mine, that's not a pissing contest to me, actually its probably better for the folks that are new to the sport, gives them a different point of view, however it doesn't mean what I posted is incorrect, its just what works for me...I honestly could care less if people went to the end of the jetty with a snoopy rod!

Oh and the one thing I am not going to do is compare pike/musky fishing and equipment needs to Striper fishing, and yes I have caught pike to that size but that's not relevant to this thread, but Jersey you do win the threadjack award on this one!

·
4,419 Posts
Tachy Goes to Coventry
This option allows you to effectively add a user or users to every member's 'Ignore List'. However, users in this list can still see their own posts and threads...

Enter a list of userid numbers, separated by spaces (for example: 4 12 68 102).

If you change this option, you need to rebuild thread and then forum information here.

Guess what?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
haha I haven't had time to check this in a while, I appreciate all the responses. About the AFAW 11' Estuary I can't seem to find it on the web after a few quick google searches. :/ The muskie rods I've been looking at on G-Loomis are bit in the expensive range...

I don't know if I have the time for rod building either. Maybe one day but my life is a little hectic right. lol

Also a fishing friend is selling a couple of his rods cause he's low on money and offered me a G-Loomis Pro Blue 8' for $150 said he's only ever used it 3-4 times and I trust him. Would it be a decent rod? Or should I save up for another?

·
First Mate
654 Posts
Thank you Jake, I was just coming back to this thread to check on Steve Austins email/website info. Is this the 6 million $ man? What would a custom Estuary rod set one back? (roughly) Well does Steve sell the blanks or completed custom rods? I'm just wondering as I want to compare the pricing with a factory built one. The factory rods seem to be built with enough quality equipment but some may say that it should be better. Do you know anyone with the 13' Surf Rod

What do you know about Rainshadow. I may have ask this before with you answering. I think is was about the tackle shopbuilder in New Bedford. What I find by searching and reading that many like it. I may be looking into a blank or two to build. One reason I'm looking into Batson is their price to quality and from what I hear their customer service.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
JS,
Nah, lol. Different Steve Austin thumbsup.gif Not sure if he has any blanks in stock, but his website lists AFAW Estuary blanks at $189.95, factory built at $259.95, and custom built at $309.95.

The factory hardware is top notch,,, I wouldn't change a thing about it even if I had one custom made.

I know S247 member Wild Dave, has a 13' Big Beach rod... not sure who else on here might have one.

I really don't know much about Rainshadow blanks (I know Jimi4290 has built at least 1 Rainshadow rod, so you might ask him), except I know for a fact that their guides suck ass. I've heard several builders say so, and have seen first hand 3 different rods with Rainshadow guides where the ceramic (?) ring has popped out of the frame.

·
First Mate
654 Posts
JS,
Nah, lol. Different Steve Austin thumbsup.gif Not sure if he has any blanks in stock, but his website lists AFAW Estuary blanks at $189.95, factory built at $259.95, and custom built at $309.95.

The factory hardware is top notch,,, I wouldn't change a thing about it even if I had one custom made.

I know S247 member Wild Dave, has a 13' Big Beach rod... not sure who else on here might have one.

I really don't know much about Rainshadow blanks (I know Jimi4290 has built at least 1 Rainshadow rod, so you might ask him), except I know for a fact that their guides suck ass. I've heard several builders say so, and have seen first hand 3 different rods with Rainshadow guides where the ceramic (?) ring has popped out of the frame.

I spoke to a guy in New Bedford that builds customs rods also has a tackle shop. For some reason I thought we posted about him but I may be wrong. Ahh CMS Enterprises is the name(it just came to me) He also had said that he uses other than Rainshadow Guides. He had one there I was talking to him about with Fujis, thing was it was 1 piece and I really want 2.
Steve has very reasonable prices on those rods. I had thought also that AFAW used good stuff when building. I have read much good stuff about Steve in my searches. Thank you for that info. I had looked at his site and did not see the pricing

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Steve's pricing is in this form in the drop down menu where you select what rod you're interested in. Fill out and submit the form, and he'll get back with you on availability.

CMS is a good shop,,, about a mile down the street from me. thumbsup.gif

·
First Mate
654 Posts
Steve's pricing is in this form in the drop down menu where you select what rod you're interested in. Fill out and submit the form, and he'll get back with you on availability.

CMS is a good shop,,, about a mile down the street from me. thumbsup.gif
Well I checked and both you and I had posted threads about CMS. I checked mine as I thought you had responded on it but I was wrong. Maybe I will give them a call in a month or two to se what they may have. Being it's coming into the off season they may have some deals.

thumbsup.gifThank you also for that link I was on that page when I went to his website but missed that rod selection section.

·
First Mate
654 Posts
Sudsy had mentioned the St Croix Mojo.thumbsup.gif I had a Mojo and thought they were only making shorter rods. (I should freaking know better) Well I found out a little info
These look like the first rods to come out of St. Croix's Mexico Manufacturing plant.
5 year warranty
The new Mojo's guides are unbranded in name. Made overseas. 304 Stainless Grade with Zirconium inserts. Black finish. Supposely it has passed St. Croix's test for corrosion. St. Croix has also said that they will be using smaller guides.

I was hoping that the pricing would be around the freshwater rods they have. They seem to be quite abit more for the Surf series(but what isn't) they seem to range from $220 to $280. I must say I loved my flipping stick till my daughter stole my Mojo by slamming it in the boathouse door. One thing I really liked was the Mojo handle(similar to AFAW Estuary design) which they don't use the same design on the surf rod
http://www.tackledirect.com/st-croix-mojo-surf-casting-rods.html
This pricing puts it right in line with the AFAW Estuary which I think has abit more history/use behind it. Plus using Fuji BSVOG rings, Fuji DNPS reel seat and duplon grips to just begin with the quality on factory rods-almost seems like a no brainer?? Just wonder how others feel about this- I quess every rod has it's uses. Sounds like a good rod to test though

21 - 39 of 39 Posts