Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Striper Hunter
77 Posts
I have had good luck with Suffix Siege 20lbs,comes in 330 yard spools for like $7.99 easy to find no memory, put 165 yards on each reel. Havent had one run almost 2 football fields on us yet.Strange thing to note, out of the 20 stripers we caught last year 19 were with the disapearing pink fluorocarbon and 1 with clear. No clear leaders this year for us..

· Registered
120 Posts
Can get the spools of berkley big game or stren hi impact at walmart for like $6-8. I use 20 lb test for the main line. These lines are tough as nails but being mono they have a little bit of stretch which is nice when the fish make a quick run. Biggest part of the whole rig to me is to use a quality fluorocarbon leader. I LOVE the yo-zuri hd carbon pink in 25# test. For fluoro its very manageable and the stuff is strong.

· Registered
226 Posts
40lb power pro or fireline tracer braid (make sure its the tracer braid not the original junk, tracer is a radial construction line, more like power pro in comparison than the original fireline) then to a 40lb maxima chameleon or yozuri HD pink leader.

· Mad Bass Lure Company
26 Posts
I tried braid last year, but found I was getting weird tangles with the sinker slide on occasion. I then swapped to 20lb Trilene XT for the main line, and haven't had any further issues. I tie my own leader setup as well, and am using a 4' or so length of 25lb Seagar leader material.

· Registered
120 Posts
I tried braid last year, but found I was getting weird tangles with the sinker slide on occasion. I then swapped to 20lb Trilene XT for the main line, and haven't had any further issues..
I had similar issues when I used braid. Every few drops I would have an awful mess to pick to get out. Don't seem to get that with the mono, might have somethign to do with that little bit of memory

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.