Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

What kind of striper fishing do you do mostly?

41 - 60 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Surf fish 100%. Fish both shores of Long Island...Long Island Sound on the north and ocean on the south. Favorite place to fish is the Montauk "area". Things are starting to heat up down here!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: What kind of striper fishing do you do?

Love the boat but it has been acting funny last few months. A lot less productive from the jetti

·
First Mate
1,014 Posts

Boat, drift fishing for years all over Raritan Bay. Used " balloon style" float for livelining. It's fun watching the balloon get " excited". Now, while rebuilding another boat, I'm in surf with and without waders. It's pretty dramatic when you're catching, but I have got to get that boat done.

·
Registered
509 Posts

well that sucks....I Fish Saltwater from a boat, Freshwater Lake from a boat and saltwater surf but I could only pick one :(
WHAWAWAAAAAA :)
I'm crying with ya, Jeff, I fish from boat, yak and shore, fresh water, though I have fished saltwater from boat and yak, and I'd fish from pier if there was one, but wouldn't fish upriver in a boat cause the fish are below the dam, so I'm feeling your pain bro.
Jeff

·
Registered
509 Posts

3100 members and only 140 votes.
We can do better than that cant we?
Jim, let me be honest, it's nice to hear directly from you now and then, via email, I'd get busy and email every last 3100 of us that haven't replied (I replied twice, so you're two ahead).
Kind of gives you warm fuzzies just thinking about it, doesn't it?

·
Lunker
38 Posts

I voted surf but I really need this option
Freshwater River Brackish waters / Brackish Marsh / Flats / Estuary / Saltwater Pier / Bridge / Jetty fishing / Ocean / from shore and yak.
If Hybrids are also part of it add inreservoir.

When I had more time I have even done Brackish Marsh / Flats / Estuary / Bridge / Jetty fishing / Ocean / from shore and yak in the same trip.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I'm new to Striper fishing, but I fished the surf, from the jetty and from the shore using flies and lures. I had the best luck with lures from a rocky shore in heavy swells.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I love surfcasting from the beach...I can unwind after a hard day or just start off the day enjoying what I like to do best, even if I get skunked.

·
technologist
11 Posts

I live in new jersey and when we talk about striper fishing we talk about fishing the surf, like most of the northeast fisherman. But with the freshwater stripers being stocked all over the country kind of changes the equation. We all use different methods to catch the same fish!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Another minority sweetwater fisherman here. Just bought a new boat last summer and at this point I can say I'll never fish from the bank again! Woohoo!

Ok, now that I got that out of the way......

We're thinking of trying below one of the dams this weekend. Air temp is supposed to be near 70, water temp I think is around 44.

From now until spring it should just get better and better. We've caught most all of our big ones in Feb. and March.

Crankbaits around the brush and the creek mouths.

Can't wait!

·
Mike R.
19 Posts

Got these this July livelining snagged bunker off the Belmar NJ beach, a 40# and a 20#. Then had to get through a 5-6 foot surf to the beach. INot much room left in the yak but I made it to shore without flipping. What a blast!

41 - 60 of 227 Posts