Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend fishing out of Newburgh we were checked by the coast guard and questioned about safety equipment. 2 new york conservation officers were aboard also. The NY fellow said a distress flag is required in NY waters. I was given a verbal warning from this gentleman for this. My question is was I not fishing tidal water which does not require a NY fishing license or NY safety requirements? I hope someone here can help,thanks

roughrider out.

· First Mate @ Ace Charters
762 Posts
State law requires that every mechanically propelled vessel,
16 feet and greater in length, carry United States Coast Guard approved visual distress equipment. This applies to all mechanically propelled vessels operating upon the state's joint jurisdictional waters, where the state and federal government share responsibility, as well as the interior sole-state lakes.
Most boats can meet this requirement by simply carrying three USCG approved day/night hand held flares. You may also carry any combination of three-day and three night-approved pyrotechnic devices. Non-pyrotechnic options include an approved electric distress light (for night) or an orange distress flag (for day). Whichever you choose, all devices must be in serviceable condition and readily accessible. For pyrotechnics, the expiration date, as printed on the device, must not have lapsed. When buying pyrotechnic visual distress equipment always look for the freshest devices possible, those with at least three years of service life would be the newest.
State law requires that all vessels operating between sunset and sunrise, regardless of length, carry visual distress signals approved for night use. For obvious safety reasons rowboats and canoes should also carry visual distress signals approved for night use when out on the water after sunset. Keep in mind also that Federal law requires all manually propelled craft to carry visual distress equipment, approved for night use, when operating on the state's joint jurisdictional waters.

http://www.nysparks.com/boating/docs/boaters_guide.pdf

Hope this helps .

· Registered
70 Posts
Thanks Capt. - And next year you will be required to have a saltwater licence/or stamp. They haven't quite decided what the authorizaton paperwork will be, but it will cost yu $10.00.

And that includes tidal waters within the state of NY.
Or as they put it migratory fish. Can't get much more migratory than Striped Bass.

:trout:

· TRUE GRIT Off Shore Fishing Team
143 Posts
as it is right now you must get a federal migratory species permit if you fish for tuna/ bill fish and sharks off shore.

Boats must also have a PFD for each person aboard, in serviceable condition and a throwable flotation device, working lights, some type of bilge pump (small boats shout have a bucket), if you have an inboard your blower ventalation must work.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
State law requires that every mechanically propelled vessel,
16 feet and greater in length, carry United States Coast Guard approved visual distress equipment. This applies to all mechanically propelled vessels operating upon the state's joint jurisdictional waters, where the state and federal government share responsibility, as well as the interior sole-state lakes.
Most boats can meet this requirement by simply carrying three USCG approved day/night hand held flares. You may also carry any combination of three-day and three night-approved pyrotechnic devices. Non-pyrotechnic options include an approved electric distress light (for night) or an orange distress flag (for day). Whichever you choose, all devices must be in serviceable condition and readily accessible. For pyrotechnics, the expiration date, as printed on the device, must not have lapsed. When buying pyrotechnic visual distress equipment always look for the freshest devices possible, those with at least three years of service life would be the newest.
State law requires that all vessels operating between sunset and sunrise, regardless of length, carry visual distress signals approved for night use. For obvious safety reasons rowboats and canoes should also carry visual distress signals approved for night use when out on the water after sunset. Keep in mind also that Federal law requires all manually propelled craft to carry visual distress equipment, approved for night use, when operating on the state's joint jurisdictional waters.

http://www.nysparks.com/boating/docs/boaters_guide.pdf

Hope this helps .
Thanks for the explaination.
I had flares on board, no mention of flag not needed if flares on board.

roughrider out

· Official Member
359 Posts
depending on the size of the boat what type of fire extinguisher you need and you also have to have a flotation device , and a life vest on board for everyone that is there, also if you have any children under the age of 12 on board they have to be wearing the life vest at all times.

· Official Member
359 Posts
Grit,
If you have a PFD for each person on board & no extra. You can refuse an inspection boarding if the boarder is not wearing a PFD.[/quote]

In my eyes that would be asking for trouble and just piss them off they would prolly just reach into their cuddy and grab a pfd and then give you every ticket they can for the stupidest crap, i have no problem with a law enforcement officer coming on board and investigating because most of what they require you to have is necassary and if I dont have something and they let me know about it I may need it at a later date in a emergency.

· TRUE GRIT Off Shore Fishing Team
143 Posts
True on Line attached. Oh and its only rope on land once on board its called a line. I too welcome them aboard and offer them a cold one too. You should always have all the required equipment. If not your a dope . As when I'm done here I take her out off shore our PFD's are type 1 with all attachments. I'm actually looking for the CH Aux to hold a VSC so I can get my decal,

Also I believe the day flag is required as flares are not too visible on bright sunny days. :shocked:

· Registered
15 Posts
i was checked a few weeks ago i had flares that were expired and he was going to give me a ticket for that. he said i needed some type of distress flag or flares i had a flag and he said i was ok but should get flares becuase i would probably be fishing at night. so i would think with just a flag you would be ok. hope this helps

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.