Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Trolling Speed versus Current Speed

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Roccus 
#1 ·
I do a lot of trolling for Stripers and there is always talk of trolling speed, genereally slower the better. But say you're trying to troll at 2 knots, is that Speed Over Ground or versus the current?
Thanks and good luck on the cows!

thumbsup.gif

#2 ·
I'd say it's plus or minus the current because you're attempting to do two things when you troll (besides catch fish), impart the proper action on the lure and reach the depth your attempting to with the lure. The current effects both those elements so current needs to part of the equation.

With tube n'worms, I agree, slower is better. But with lipped plugs, speed and line-length set the running depth. So depending on where in the water column the fish are and the type of lip, you will need to vary your speed to reach your target depth. With deep and medium divers, the faster you go and the more line you let out, the deeper the plug will run.

#3 ·
Thanks Tony, that's basically what I thought too but I always hear people argue about the speed and if it's with or against current.
I'll be giving Boston Harbor islands a shot tonight...I need to catch a keep to boost the confidence, it's been too long!
Thanks again!

#4 ·
forget all the hoopla about trolling speed, it is only relevant to the action of the lure, way too much is made of the speed itself, trust me if a bass REALY wants a plug, tube, spoon or bait unless your on plane it will get it....

just be certain that whatever your using for a plug or bait swims properly, a tube needs to be trolled slow to give a nice snaking action, a live mackerel needs to be trolled fast enough to keep it from swimming under the boat, when I troll eels, it can be from .5 to 3 knots, it all depends on how the bait is being presented..speed of tide and size of the bait and depth of the water...

when I troll swimming plugs on wire, I often sit still or just crawl against the current, allowing the wire and style of the plug to bring it to the strike zone. I then willl let the boat work the plug, sometimes almost sideways in the rip toi allow it to slide back so I can cover the whole rip... it takes practice but is deadly...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.