Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm planning on really dedicating myself to stripers this year. I fish from shore in the Kingston area. In the past I have only used a single 9 foot medium heavy pole with 20 lb test. I am planning on getting two more setups, but what I would really appreciate some advice on is what line to use! I was thinking 80 lb. braid, and 40-60 lb flourocarbon as leader material. Am I on the right track? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Gino

·
First Mate @ Ace Charters
761 Posts
My Braid set up is 50# Power Pro with 30# Seaguar. I think 40-60 is too heavy as a leader.

I'm gonna try the Power Pro Super Slick 40# this year.

·
Registered
143 Posts
How much easier does 30lb fluoro tie than the 40lb stuff? I have run different brands of 40lb fluoro leader and it's tough stuff to tie. Palomar knots won't even tighten up so there not an option. I use a traditional snell for hooks and that is a fairly easy (and pretty) knot. For swivels I tie a trilene knot. They come out great but they fight me the whole way!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Running light line 25lb main line 20lb leader, anything more is overkill if ya ask me... Never run braid anymore, noticed a lot more pickup & drops when using it..
. My mono set up was 20lb and it never broke. Although I never caught a monster on it. Maybe the bit of stretch allows for a slight bit more time for a circle hook to grab up?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
. My mono set up was 20lb and it never broke. Although I never caught a monster on it. Maybe the bit of stretch allows for a slight bit more time for a circle hook to grab up?
Same here ... 20 lb mono for the main line and leader and i have caught tons of fish and don't think my line ever failed.

Some years i don't even put new line on. As long as it is in decent shape and your drag works you will be fine,

·
Registered
89 Posts
30 lb flourocarbon leader and 20 pound test line is fine with 6/0 circle hook. if you are looking to have some fun. The reel needs to have a super smooth and reliable drag though or you will be breaking off. On the beach I run the shoreline with 17 pound and 40 lb leader. The less hardware the better!
Tight lines!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
30 lb flourocarbon leader and 20 pound test line is fine with 6/0 circle hook. if you are looking to have some fun. The reel needs to have a super smooth and reliable drag though or you will be breaking off. On the beach I run the shoreline with 17 pound and 40 lb leader. The less hardware the better!
Tight lines!!
I like to do the opposite from shore. Lighter leader than main line. That way if I get hung up I only lose my leader, not my entire rig

1 - 12 of 12 Posts