Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RIVER BASIN SPORTS UPDATE – Monday, April 04, 2011

This past weekend turned out to be quite pleasant and it was real nice to greet many of you once more, here at the shop. All of us, me included, are just itching to get out there on the river once more to take on the striped bass of the Hudson. Quite a challenge!

April is progressing. For the past week or so we’ve been receiving word of a smattering of stripers and herring in the river about 25 miles south of us, but that really wasn’t too much to get excited about since that is to be expected each year. What we want to hear is that some giant schools of herring and alewives have entered our waterway and are starting their run upriver – then we know that the stripers will be right behind them.

Well, we received our first report of larger schools of herring having arrived in the lower section of the river this past weekend and want to thank Walt down in the Wappingers / Fishkill area for this early netting report. These fish should be making their way upriver fairly quickly but there is a question as to how far upriver they’ll advance in this first push.

The past three years the herring have arrived in the Catskill area during the first week of April… but the water temp at Catskill during that period those same three years, ranged from the mid 40’s to 50 degrees. This morning the Hudson’s water temperature at the Catskill launch ramp was only 41. Back in 2007 the water temperature during the first week of April was approximately the same as this – and then the stripers and herring didn’t get here until the end of the second week of April.

It’ll be interesting to see just what’s in store for us this year. The colder water temperature might hold the stripers back in the lower section of the river for a while. Most certainly this morning’s flood warnings for the Mohawk River do not bode us down here very well. Any heavy rains and Adirondack snow-melt will probably result in a wash-down of dirty water which could further delay the arrival of our stripers. We’ll just play it by ear and see what happens.

By the way, the web special on the Okuma Epixor EB65 reel is all sold out. We do still have some of the “Okuma ABF65/ Sea Striker 25 lb. rated, 8 foot 2 piece rod” baitrunner combos left which are priced at $89.97 but, judging from the way they have been selling, those won’t be available much longer either.

Don’t forget that the registration deadline for our River Basin Sports 24th ANNUAL STRIPED BASS CONTEST is April 17th and that the event starts the following day, the 18th. Last year we had a record number 604 entries in this event which pays back 100% of the entry monies to the largest (length) 5 stripers brought in, and guarantees at least $3,000 to the first place fish. Entry forms are only available at the River Basin Sports Shop so be sure to stop through and pick one up. Time is starting to get short.

·
Official Member
358 Posts
good to hear they are coming but wish it was a little sooner, I am starting to get the itch!!!

·
First Mate @ Ace Charters
761 Posts
"It’ll be interesting to see just what’s in store for us this year. The colder water temperature might hold the stripers back in the lower section of the river for a while. Most certainly this morning’s flood warnings for the Mohawk River do not bode us down here very well. Any heavy rains and Adirondack snow-melt will probably result in a wash-down of dirty water which could further delay the arrival of our stripers. We’ll just play it by ear and see what happens."

I'll be keeping an eye on the Mohawk .... and crossing my fingers !

·
Official Member
358 Posts
As long as water temps keep rising I am hopefull, they did today a little

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes fellas this rain iz crazy wtf can we get a break with this rain. I wuz told ppl seen a few herring in the postenkill canal wanted to throw my net water wuz moving way to fast . I did s3e flocks of them coomrads birds that has to be a sign of suttin im thinking?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes it wuz a reliable person who told me they got no reason to lie they said eary morning yesterday they seen two skimm the top of the water thats all tho ive seen plenty of them herring birds myself diving alot this morning. I went out for alil but nuttin im hoping by this weekend well g3t a decent alwife run wat you say???????

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you guys catch them in the creek or throw the net into the main river? Ive seen people getting them in the creek with small nets ...just wasnt sure if you could do the same in the front of the creek, with a cast net.

·
Registered
6 Posts
:flyfish::flyfish:i thought i was going to have to get a dozer to get my boat out over hear in vt but i got it hope to try this weekend

1 - 16 of 16 Posts