Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice on a water flow problem. 350 Mercuriser on an Alpha One outdrive. Water pump is 2 years old. I tried to run the engine on the garden hose this morning before taking it out for real. water will not flow through, not one drop. It flowed fine in the fall before winterizing it. I think it's the water pump. Any easy way to check? If I remove the inlet house from the thermostat housing and briefly start the engine (on the garden hose) should I see water flowing? thanks.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Makomike. The water temp got up to 180, no flow. I disconnected the hose leading from the raw water pump to the thermostat housing on the engine block, still no flow - which I suspect means I have a catastrophic pump failre. I'm going to yank the lower unit off the stern drive this weekend. Hopefully the problem will reveal itself.

· Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Makomike. The water temp got up to 180, no flow. I disconnected the hose leading from the raw water pump to the thermostat housing on the engine block, still no flow - which I suspect means I have a catastrophic pump failre. I'm going to yank the lower unit off the stern drive this weekend. Hopefully the problem will reveal itself.
Sounds like an accurate diagnosis.

· Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking for advice on a water flow problem. 350 Mercuriser on an Alpha One outdrive. Water pump is 2 years old. I tried to run the engine on the garden hose this morning before taking it out for real. water will not flow through, not one drop. It flowed fine in the fall before winterizing it. I think it's the water pump. Any easy way to check? If I remove the inlet house from the thermostat housing and briefly start the engine (on the garden hose) should I see water flowing? thanks.

· Registered
2 Posts
If you drained the block & manifolds in the fall it will take some time for the motor and block to fill up with water. Once they are full you will see water come out of the back. You might want to run the boat on the hose and pull one of the manifold plugs and see if you are getting water. Seldom does a WPI Fail in a two year span unless you ran it dry.

good luck

keith tri-city marine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.