Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am new to striper fishing, i caught my first striper yesterday. From what i have read using fish finders seems to be worth a try and i actually have them already even though i was completely oblivious to what they were for. Anyways to use them you would have to have slack line? Do most of you use bait runners or just lower your drag?

·
Registered
657 Posts
You don't need slack line. Use a baitrunner or a conventional reel. Lowering your drag will be a pain in the ass. Now is a good time to fish this method with all the pogies around. I got fish this week on chunks as I was livelining pogies. The bass were too full to hit the live bait but couldn't resist an easy chunk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply...see what i dont get is how the fish finder works without slack? Is casting to fish a bad idea? I see these dorsal fins breaking water all over the place, does this sound like stripers? Im assuming it is because i casted to that area and bam a striper however some of the fins look big. So should i expect the stripers to stop biting soon(because of temps?). Im fishing on a beach on the Delaware bay, if that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i have a pretty plain spinning real...its a quantum or some crap a walmart special. I have some okuma epixors but i use them for freshwater. Im prolly gonna upgrade my freshwater reels and use the okamas as my surf reels. Is there something i should be looking for in my surf reels besides the obvious line capacity? Would the okumas be good enough? thanks for the help btw

·
Registered
369 Posts
Smash, look into a reel that is half way decent (not from walmart). But as i say to everyone picking out a rod or reel, go to a local store that sells what you are looking at, and test it out. Your the one using it, so what ever feels nice and balanced for you..good luck.

·
4,419 Posts
smashtk said:
Do most of you use bait runners or just lower your drag?
Probably most of us have used a baitrunner or own a few. Some guys will use nothing else. I find that when baitfishing a baitrunner will allow you to stay in the game with the slow click click click of the fish tugging at the bait. I miss more fish but i also detect twice as many strikes. A good size fish will pick up your bait and carry it off. Count a few mississippi's and then engage the handle thus turning off the rear drag (the baitrunner feature) Set your hook by crossing the fishes eyes or use circle hooks and just reel it in. Big fish hook themselves. I use bunker heads and the big chunk with the heart in it right behind the head. The larger heads keep the rats and dinks away from it.

Dont lower your drag. Set the baitrunner drag (the knob in the rear) where it feels no tension when pulled but has no slack. Set the front drag at 1/3 to 1/4 of the breaking strength of your line and dont touch it.
When you have some more experience you may want to loosen up the front drag a touch when the fish is in close. Thats when most fish are lost during the last desperate surge to freedom. Never horse the fish near shoreline or you risk losing it, use the incoming wave to ride her in. They will also roll on your leader and try to cut it with their gill plate.
You can find a baitrunner on ebay for around 65 bucks. The 4500 is also good to plug with just turn off the baitrunner by popping up the rear lever.
The 6500 is heavier and great for beach and pier work. Neither one likes being dunked underwater or too much sand. Rinse them and learn how to clean them out yourself. There is a tutorial on here with pictures for cleaning them. Not a complete breakdown but will show you how to take them apart and clean them yourself. Otherwise your local tackle shop likely will do it for you for a reasonable charge.

The other reels will do you good for a while but you'll see what its like to have your gears smoking and drag sticking and every other thing that can possibly go wrong while your learning your way around.

BTW congrats on your first fish. :icon_cool2:
Good Luck and have fun.

·
First Mate
654 Posts
Many people like different things for chunking or eels. You can use more than the head, you should get 2 to 3 peices(chunks) depending on size of bunker.
That being said I like between a 6/0 and a 8/0 octopus or octopus circle,

I tie my own rigs using a heavy duty/braid approved fish finder slide(green)& beads, 60 to 80 lb. mono around 2', 100 lb.+ swivel using a snell for the hook and eithier a fish n fool or polomer knot at the swivels. If I use a slap shot rig then I use an extra swivel 2' at the sinker and around 9 to 12' leader for hook. The slap shot rig will normally keep the chunks closer to the floor and it great for drum.

The reason that I like to tie my own is 2 fold or more. I know what leader is used and that it is new and good(no nicks), I know what swivels I use but mostly the rigs supplied usually come with cheaper slides(black ones) that braid just cuts through and I know the knots are good and right

Oh ya also $$$$, I can tie my own for 1/2 or less the $

I will also use bait holders for worms, clams and such

·
Registered
657 Posts
any one do any fishing in plymouth new to salty any tips will be greatful:thu:
Since this is your 1st post and you have must have lurked for a bit I will say th_icon_splitform.g:chainsaw.gifviolent5.gifbleh.gifbleh.gifbleh.gifbleh.giflurk.gifbiggrin2.gifbiggrin2.gifbiggrin2.gifbiggrin2.gifbiggrin2.gif
:toilet::toilet:th_thmoon.gifth_thmoon.gifth_thmoon.gifth_thmoon.gifth_thmoon.gifth_thmoon.gifth_thmoon.gifth_thmoon.gifth_thmoon.gifth_thmoon.gifth_thmoon.gifth_thmoon.gifth_thmoon.gif.
Sorry but I had to. Actually not real sorry. thumbsup.gif

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
any one do any fishing in plymouth new to salty any tips will be greatful:thu:
Hi Poundage. Welcome to the site hello.gif
I've never fished the Plymouth area, so I can't give you any specifics. Do some digging around on the site using the "Search" tool in the top toolbar, and check out the Stripers101 forum for tons of tips for the beginner.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just busting balls. But for your 1st post it wasn't a good one. 10 lb LARGIES:shocked:. Make a post in the meet and greet and you will probably get some responses from some guys who fish that areathumbsup.gif

·
Official Member
126 Posts
welcome to the site poundage! ya do what jake says and any specific questions you have type the key words into the search tool and be prepared to read forever. theres tons of great information here. better yet just go to the reference library and start reading. To get started fishing assuming you've got some kind of gear just pick up some basic plugs like pencil poppers and start hitting beach! sounds like ur not too far so my best advice is get out there and throw some pluggage kid! good luck :redbiggrin:

·
4,419 Posts
Poundage said:
im a freshwater guy
Poundage take those same freshwater skills to the salt. It about structure, finding fish, forage and bait presentation. The LMB (sunfish) has a bit in common with the true bass. They point there nose to the current and will hold tight to structure.
They also lay in wait and like to ambush prey.

Look for outflows and moving water, fish the changing tides and early morning and night time if possible. They tend to feed on the flats early and late.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts