Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be surf casting with my 9 year old at the end of august on the merrimack mouth and salisbury beach side.
Is this a good time of year/place for surf casting? we dont mind blues or stripers just looking for a good time and a keeper or two

Any sugestions on bait?

last two times i used clams with only two schoolies caught. should i change bait or style? i also bought a slide bobber to keep my bait away from the darn crabs(works great) but how far away from the hook should it be?alright.gif

When do they begin to run back south?

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Pretty sure there should still be fish around at the beginning of September,,, through at least the end of the month into October I would think,,, but that's not my stomping grounds so don't quote me on it.

Cut bunker or fresh mackeral would probably be a better bait than clams at that time of year. :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Take my advice and spend your time doing something else. The surf fishing in and around PI is awful right now. You can go to the bait shops and you will get an earful of utter nonsense. The fishing is terrible from the surf......if anything get out on a boat. The boat fishing has been great around the mouth........I need a new hobby or just drop a chunk of change for a boat.......oh North Shore translation for the all to common phrase "well, yesterday there was some action on the beach....." is simply-the surf fishing right now and for most of the season sux.- Trust me and get out on a boat or don't even bother with it.........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take my advice and spend your time doing something else. The surf fishing in and around PI is awful right now. You can go to the bait shops and you will get an earful of utter nonsense. The fishing is terrible from the surf......if anything get out on a boat. The boat fishing has been great around the mouth........I need a new hobby or just drop a chunk of change for a boat.......oh North Shore translation for the all to common phrase "well, yesterday there was some action on the beach....." is simply-the surf fishing right now and for most of the season sux.- Trust me and get out on a boat or don't even bother with it.........
Are you taking about now or late august?

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
Take it from somebody that fishes the area 30 or more hours a week.. there are plenty of fish being caught from the surf.. just check surflands web site....the bass are in close.. in most cases , we boat fisherman are catching them in the suds along the beach...blues also have been rampaging with the on shore winds... the fishing is as good now as it ever will be.. go fishing.. no one has ever caught a fish sitting on the couch or surfing the web...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts