Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Official member
42 Posts
I couldn't tell ya much about getting eels in Ogunquit (plenty of trouser trout though from what I hear :gayyee:) but you'll have no problem getting them in the OOB area. Saco Bay tackle is on Rte 1 in Saco, next town over from OOB, and they have anything you'll need from live eels to plugs, terminal tackle etc........I do recommend a trip to Chevy's bait and tackle if ya plan on using sandworms though, biggest ones around BY FAR!!!! Fishing with eels can be real good up here, especially @ a few spots in particular. PM me as we get closer and Id be happy to point ya in the general direction of a few areas that should put ya on fish. I recommend ya bring a pair of korkers as well if ya wanna fish the mecca of all Maine fishing spots. Good luck to ya my friend.

StriperHyper ~ Will
I'm heading to York on Saturday. Where is Chevy's?

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts
Chevy's in nowhere close to York my friend.....I was saying if ur coming up to OOB ya gotta go to Chevy's 'cause they have, by far, the best worms in town. Chevy's is located at Camp Ellis, about a 10 minute ride outside of Old Orchard Beach. Let me see if I can get ya directions and I'll PM them to your inbox....if in fact you're gonna be in the OOB area at all :10187:

StriperHyper ~ Will

·
4,419 Posts
Lets get back on topic. Perfect explanation
http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showpost.php?p=119535&postcount=4

Terminal end

Hook the eel under the jaw and out the eyeball.
5/0 to 7/0 gamakatsu octopus hook snelled to 36 inches of 50 pound seaguar flourocarbon to a quality barrel swivel tied using a palomar knot to 50 pound spiderwire stealth or sufix performance braid.

Cast out let it swim to the bottom. Eels will do this naturally and head for cover. Reel in very very slowly keeping the line moving and taught.
When you feel a bump, lower the rod tip and when the line becomes tight, Wham; cross its eyes and then set the hook again.

Now its you, your gear and your knots against this glorious beast.
If she beats you - she deserved to.

·
Shark Bait
55 Posts
This may be a dumb question. But I was casting eels in some current last night. I always learned from fly fishing that you wanna cast upstream mostly. I also do this when I am plugging. Does this apply to eels too? Is it ever effective to cast the eels downstream and slowly bring them back? I had no luck with anything I tried last night. Thanks.

·
Cow Catcher
937 Posts
If the current is ripping. Cast em up stream and let them drift using a coventional or baitrunner. If the current is ripping hard some rubbah core weights may be needed to get the eel into the strike zone near the bottom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, first post. Apologies in advance for reviving a three year old thread, but this one seemed the most appropriate to my question...

I want to try live eels from the beaches of LI south shore, but the waves break so far out and the riptide can get so bad, that I need at least a four oz. pyramid to get my bait where it needs to be and keep it from washing up on shore.

Could I possibly substitute the egg sinker in Sudsy's post #4 with a 4oz pyramid on a sinker slide, or am I just asking for tangles?

Am I just better off sticking to clam and the weight at the bottom under these conditions?

Thanks!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts