Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Re: How To Fish Eels From Surf?

it's a new moon. and some spots are more productive on low tide than on high tide. most areas are fishable in less that 2 feet of water when fishing at night and at the right place. i don't know where you are fishing so i can't tell you what is best in your area. open beach is just a crap shoot. find wood pilings and pitch em in there.
find an inlet/outflow/eelgrass/and pitch em in there.
where the F*$K are you fishing? new zealand/boston/NC?

·
Registered
131 Posts

Sorry I was not more specific earlier. I am fishing in and around the jetties and channels in the charleston area of Rhode Island. I will also be in Westerly a bit. I also may fish out of a yak out in the salt ponds down the canals and breachways.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts

Sounds easy enough, thnks for the imput, Zim, do you twitch it at all? Or just reel in very very slowly? And what do you guys have your drags set at for fishing with eels?
i'll twitch it if it dies and i have no more.
i'll twitch it if i get a hit and want her to hear where she missed it or see it moving in a different light.
i'll twitch it in my buddies face if i am fishing eels and he is fishing plugs and i am clobbering them.
yes i will twitch it.
the drag on some of my reels are set at like 15#

·
Grouchy old Bassturd
1,033 Posts

More than one way to skin a cat. hello.gif

I have a cooler with a raised bottom. Eels on top / ice under. Keep eels out of the water, but keep them cold. They appear to be sleeping and move very sluggishly.
I'll hook one of the cooled eels under the chin and out through the eye and cast it out. No finder, sinker or whatnot generally.
VERY rare to have a "monkey's fist" this way. At least from my experiences.
The warmer water brings the eel back to full life force. Never let the eel sit on the beach. If you let them hang between cast, they'll curl a bit, but never had one ball up.
As to where to cast?
Read the beach. Find where the wave action comes together from opposing sides. Where they meet, the wash will be taking out most of the time if positioned right. (may need to go one side or the other a bit though)
Heave it out and let it sit a spell. How long? Depends on you and how the eel travels in the drink. Sometimes 20 min. to a half hour. Other times, 5 minutes.
If the eel swims out of the little rip, the tide will usually push it back to shore. Catch it right and it heads for England.:a_goodjob:
The above is for open beaches. Not rocky areas or weeded jetties.

I hate to throw an eel away just because it died! At $2.00 each, they get wasteful.
Do a Google on rigging an eel. Needles are easily fashioned from wire coat hangers or (better yet) stainless steel welding wires.
Frozen rigged eels last a very long time in the freezer. Wrap individually in wet cloth or paper towels.

If time is tight, Simply skin and salt (google again) and add to a plug for eel skins. Inside out or right side out both work good.
The convenience is well worth the effort to save them.

Just some more ideas for your eeling pleasures. hello.gif
I will always chill my eels no matter where I intend to fish. Much easier handling and keeping that way.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts

Lol ok, i guess i will be twitching it! thanks
don't do that.........
bad habits are hard to erase.
just look at all the info here and elsewhere and pay attention to what's goin on on the end of yer line. if you've never cast an eel don't try and make it do anything unnatural like jerkin it around. i know what i posted but don't you go and do that right off the bat. like i said, you will (if your a fisherman with some sense) learn what is going on by trial and error and not immediately changing tactics. it moves naturally for best results.

·
Registered
369 Posts

Thanks again Zim, I'll just let it do its "natural thing" while retrieving it very slowly and within time i'm bound to hook into one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ZIM and FLOAT- Great Info here guys...my hookup ratio with eels was just not worth spending the money on those slimey critters, I was doing it all wrong...this info has me intrigued... I'm drifting eels next time out, Again Great Info thanks!

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts
ZIM and FLOAT- Great Info here guys...my hookup ratio with eels was just not worth spending the money on those slimey critters, I was doing it all wrong...this info has me intrigued... I'm drifting eels next time out, Again Great Info thanks!
Fishing with eels can certainly be tough, the key is patience, patience and more patience. After you feel the initial "tap" on your rod and bow to the fish, wait a few seconds before setting the hook and your hook-up ratio will increase dramatically. Its kinda like riding a bike, once ya get yer first on eels you wont forget how ya got 'em. Good luck man, hope your hitting 'em as hard as we are here in north country.

StriperHyper ~ Will

·
First Mate
347 Posts

More than one way to skin a cat. hello.gif

I have a cooler with a raised bottom. Eels on top / ice under. Keep eels out of the water, but keep them cold. They appear to be sleeping and move very sluggishly.
I'll hook one of the cooled eels under the chin and out through the eye and cast it out. No finder, sinker or whatnot generally.
VERY rare to have a "monkey's fist" this way. At least from my experiences.
The warmer water brings the eel back to full life force. Never let the eel sit on the beach. If you let them hang between cast, they'll curl a bit, but never had one ball up.
As to where to cast?
Read the beach. Find where the wave action comes together from opposing sides. Where they meet, the wash will be taking out most of the time if positioned right. (may need to go one side or the other a bit though)
Heave it out and let it sit a spell. How long? Depends on you and how the eel travels in the drink. Sometimes 20 min. to a half hour. Other times, 5 minutes.
If the eel swims out of the little rip, the tide will usually push it back to shore. Catch it right and it heads for England.:a_goodjob:
The above is for open beaches. Not rocky areas or weeded jetties.

I hate to throw an eel away just because it died! At $2.00 each, they get wasteful.
Do a Google on rigging an eel. Needles are easily fashioned from wire coat hangers or (better yet) stainless steel welding wires.
Frozen rigged eels last a very long time in the freezer. Wrap individually in wet cloth or paper towels.

If time is tight, Simply skin and salt (google again) and add to a plug for eel skins. Inside out or right side out both work good.
The convenience is well worth the effort to save them.

Just some more ideas for your eeling pleasures. hello.gif
I will always chill my eels no matter where I intend to fish. Much easier handling and keeping that way.
Great info.

Anyone here use the Aquaskinz eel bag?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Fishing with eels can certainly be tough, the key is patience, patience and more patience. After you feel the initial "tap" on your rod and bow to the fish, wait a few seconds before setting the hook and your hook-up ratio will increase dramatically. Its kinda like riding a bike, once ya get yer first on eels you wont forget how ya got 'em. Good luck man, hope your hitting 'em as hard as we are here in north country.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Hey Will, do you use eels up on OOB? Because me and my friend will be heading up there hopefully mid july, and we will be hitting the ogunquit area and hopefully OOB, have any pointers for fishing those areas?

·
4,419 Posts
Anyone here use the Aquaskinz eel bag?
Yes I just just clip it on my belt.
A ziplock bag is just as good for grabbing the buggers through the plastic - sticking in the jaw and out an eyeball right through the baggies.

·
First Mate
654 Posts
Have a great time at OOB. If you are not sure on the eels either call ahead or just bring some with you, they will keep a while on bagged ice.
There is some great striper fishing up that way, but watch your water temps, you can hop on Rt. 1 and also head north or south for more great action. I use Microsoft streets and trips with a GPS antenna to find my way around. There are many river inlets and rocky coast line for some great fishing up there. I like Streets and Trips as it is very easy to back out and get a wide view of the area, easier than a dash gps unit and my laptop has a much bigger screen. I also use my laptop to google earth the area for a real good picture of the coastline.

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts
Hey Will, do you use eels up on OOB? Because me and my friend will be heading up there hopefully mid july, and we will be hitting the ogunquit area and hopefully OOB, have any pointers for fishing those areas?
I couldn't tell ya much about getting eels in Ogunquit (plenty of trouser trout though from what I hear :gayyee:) but you'll have no problem getting them in the OOB area. Saco Bay tackle is on Rte 1 in Saco, next town over from OOB, and they have anything you'll need from live eels to plugs, terminal tackle etc........I do recommend a trip to Chevy's bait and tackle if ya plan on using sandworms though, biggest ones around BY FAR!!!! Fishing with eels can be real good up here, especially @ a few spots in particular. PM me as we get closer and Id be happy to point ya in the general direction of a few areas that should put ya on fish. I recommend ya bring a pair of korkers as well if ya wanna fish the mecca of all Maine fishing spots. Good luck to ya my friend.

StriperHyper ~ Will

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks alot Will. I'll pm you when i figure out the dates we are going, we are probably gonna hit cape cod for a few days then head up there, and thanks again.

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts
Anyone have any luck live lining eels on cloudy days?
Eels are better served being fished at night with a slow retrieve, but every rule has an exception. Try em out a couple times, be it in the dead of the night, a bright sunny morning or an overcast day. Night time is the right time, but the only wrong time is spent not on the water!!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will

·
3,471 Posts
I've caught fish on eels in the middle of the day, bright sun overhead.
Never be afraid to have a go.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts