1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3,471 Posts
One more time

Here's what I use:

90# Spro swivel (the tiny one)
Tied to 4' of 30# quality fluorocarbon leader
5/0 or 6/0 depending on the size of the eels Gami Octopus hook
I keep a few leaders pretied and labeled in small ziplock bags in a leader wallet
Triangle Flooring Building material Water Automotive exterior

The leader is tied to the running line and replaced when scraped or nicked or after a bigger fish puts undue strain on it
If there's too much current to get the eel to the bottom I'll put the lightest possible egg sinker required on the main line in front of the leader

All knots are palomars, the hooks are snelled on. If you can't tie a good snell then use a Palomar (I've never trusted the "fast" snell knot, they like to unwind)

White Product Font Line Material property

The eel is hooked up through the bottom of the jaw and out the eye socket
They work almost as well dead as alive.
I prefer 1 to 4 oz rated medium action rods
I use both spinning and conventional reels
Most spinning reels have 20# Fireline on em
All conventionals have Berkley Stealth braid on em
I like 6500 size Abu's with levelwind

Each eel is placed in it's own sandwich sized ziplock bag
The bags are all placed in the main pouch of an Aquaskinz belt pouch
Rectangle Automotive tire Office supplies Bag Font

A small frozen plastic ice block is placed in with em, helps keep the eels calm.
Hook em right through the bag and pull through (take your garbage out with you!!!)

Retrieve SLOWLY
Rod tip high, when a fish picks up the eel lower the tip to point straight at it, the moment you feel weight cross his eyes.
If your using circle hooks lift gently (that's a whole 'nuther thread)

·
3,471 Posts
I prefer eels around 12" long

If that's Vanish Fluorocarbon line chuck it straight into the trash, the stuff is complete and total garbage. Don't know about any Vanish mono but the second i hear the name Vanish I immediately think garbage

An 8' Tica MH with a conventional reel is about as bad an eeling setup as you can get but can still fish with.
The rod is too stiff and too short to be able to make a halfway decent cast.
I prefer 9 to 10' rods rated 1 to 4 with a softer medium to slow action
Eeling is the one remaining place where fiberglass rods can still out fish graphite.

The eels live all night in the baggies

·
3,471 Posts
I used to tin boat fish thru the surf at Monmouth beach back in the day, with gentlemen called Ozzie, Primo and *****. Duck hunted with them too. ***** is now in TN, Primo in VA and Oz is still hanging his shingle in the Highlands.
And I was one of the guys on the Little Monmouth jetty watching you crazy bastages.
Sand replenishment killed the cartopper launching as well as the fishing from the wall but if things keep up the way they are we may see both make a comeback.
The water is just about to the wall again at Jenkins Corner. Another year or two and/or a good storm and it could be just like old times:banana:

·
3,471 Posts
I've caught fish on eels in the middle of the day, bright sun overhead.
Never be afraid to have a go.

·
3,471 Posts
:iagree:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts