Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the 'salt' and want to get a good surf outfit that could more than likely be used off jettys and piers. Since I have experience with the new Shimano Baitrunner 4000D I was thinking maybe an 8000D with 65-80 PP braid coupled with an 8' rod. Any help making this deciesion will be appreciated.

·
Rubber Shad Ex-spert
309 Posts
Only my 2 cents. Others will chime in.

8' to 9' rod, strong enough to throw up to 4 or 5 oz. I like a shorter rod because I find the rock piles don't have much elbow room. A ten plus footer is too big for the rocks, and doesn't really cast any further . . . I like to put cork tape all up the rear and for grip so the but end doesn't get scratched. The rod also functions as a mountain climbing staff for me.

Bait or plugs for you?

If bait, then the shimano bait runner is a good reel. Sure, go ahead and put braid on.

If lures, then I like a penn 704 series. You won't need the van stahl or zee baas unless your taking waves on the jetty. Even still, just clean out the 704 after a soaking.

Also, studded sandals such as corkers are key. Careful out there, especially in the dark . . duh.

·
Rubber Shad Ex-spert
309 Posts
Oh, yeah, rod brands :)

I like the lamiglas pike fishing rods.

Lamiglas LGM96 - 1H is an 8' with 40# line rating and up to 8 oz lure rating. Short and stout. Muskie / pike rods will fit what you want.

·
3,471 Posts
First, surf rods that you can plug with and pier rods are night and day. There's no such thing as a rod that can throw a Bomber and still has the strength to winch a short up into the air. The closest match I can think of is an Allstar Breakaway 1209 (no longer made). An extremely similar rod is now being made by Rainshadow but I can't remember the model number at the moment.
You're still not going to be plugging with it but it's good for bridge, pier and surf weight n bait.

Plugging you want a 1 to 5 preferably.

8', 4 to 6 oz rod, yer kidding right? - that's a boat rod and there is no possible way your 8' cue stick is going to come anywhere near casting as far as my 10'er

I live on the rocks and for plugging use an 11' afaw Estuary 90% of the time. The only time I use a 9' rod is when the fish are running very small in the heat of the summer and at the very end of the fall run. The only time I use an 8' rod is on a boat.
Every now and than I'll break out the old 10' Kennedy Fisher 8720 and Penn 706 for a nostalgia blast. That setup was used off the rocks for decades by me and by it's previous owner who's surf spikes I'm not worthy to polish
Nearest thing to that rod being made today is the Seeker Baby Uluna (sp?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts