Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my brother come and visit and we hit the river Sunday afternoon at around 4pm to catch the incoming after a first communion party. Launched at the Corning Preserve and both the launch and river were very quiet for a weekend day. Got plenty of bait in the well right away, headed down to one of my favorite spots and started drifting the incoming and did pretty good. Had 7 hookups and boated 4 good ones from 32" to 36" and all were females. Quit about 7pm to go home and filet our 2 fish and have a couple beers and relax.

Monday we put in at HH around 9am to catch the outgoing. Went north and got all the bait we needed in 15 minutes. Went back down to the same area we fished Sunday evening and started drifting. Had to use the transom electric motor to keep the speed right as the wind was coming in from the south. Not enough pull for the drift bag but the electric motor works like a charm for that. We had at least 10 or 11 hookups and only could get 5 in the boat:einstein: Some rain squalls came through here and there and we fished til 2pm but it was sweet being out there on a Monday. Hardly anybody at the launch and even less people on the river. It was literally a half hour or more at a time between boats going by which rocks when you're drifting:10187: Again all nice fish up to 37"!! So not too bad for two short trips to get 9 in the boat but we could have easily had 15 or more if we didn't drop some but that's striper fishing. Heading back out probably this weekend and next week on Monday, Tuesday and maybe Wednesday afternoons to catch the outgoing tides which are all lined up for late afternoon into evening which is perfect:a_goodjob:

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Thanks fellas:bluegrin: Time for the pictures to come down now since we seem to be getting quite a few views here this season but not many other folks posting reports!! Can't wait to get back out there:10187:
Your not kidding John:blackeyerub: ... i know right where you got them anyway :whistle:
LOL

Are they stacked up in there yet , we like that area later in the season. Even though it's early date wise ... water temps make it seem like later season. May have to check it out next week.

Seem like your holding your own so far !

BB

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are they stacked up in there yet , we like that area later in the season. Even though it's early date wise ... water temps make it seem like later season. May have to check it out next week.

Seem like your holding your own so far !

BB
Yeah, lots of fish in that section Sunday and Monday and very little bait on the graph which is what I like to look for plus nobody ever really fishes that area compared to other parts of the river. I did well through there even on Memorial day weekend last year when most of the fish had left. Having a good season so far with 4 short trips, 15 in the boat and no skunks yet but that's always a possibility!! Good luck tomorrow and on the weekend. Not sure if I'm going to hit the river this weekend at all with the predicited winds for Saturday afternoon and Sunday but for sure on Monday and Wednesday afternoons when there's a lot less boats!!

·
Striper Hunter
77 Posts
The winds have me nervous as well, one thing I have kept track of is the weather on the days we have caught fish, we have not caught a single fish on a windy choppy day in two years. Good luck and it looks like Friday and Monday for me.

·
Lunker
152 Posts
The winds have me nervous as well, one thing I have kept track of is the weather on the days we have caught fish, we have not caught a single fish on a windy choppy day in two years. Good luck and it looks like Friday and Monday for me.
All I can say is a south wind sucks!!! Was out last night and with the incoming tide and the south wind it was pretty much brutal trying to fish. I even went to the hook, and I'm a drift guy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.