Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started useing lures on the beach at about age 12, 3 years ago and i only have luck getting blues and hickory shad.

I have caught one striper one a lure and that was while jigging a swim shad from my boat. That was the only bass i EVER GOT ON A LURE.ITS AN OUTRAGE. lol.

What am i doing wrong.

I cast dimond jig, no higher than ava 17
pencil poppers, i pop them and all the right stuff
other poppers which i do the same with
Metal like cripple hearing and fake sand eels i cast and reel in at different speed and still nothing.
I even got the teasers tide on but still nada.

Using bait on the surf is no problem but i just cant seem to get the bass to hit the lures.

I went today and i didnt get anything. Now there was 8 other surf casters on the beach no one got anything. Stripers are moving out and north so its no like i was the only one not catching fish.

Any suggestions.

·
I had a BLAST!
2,429 Posts
My friend, the fish are where ya get 'em. And try eels. If there are bass around, you'll know.
One more thing, what time of the day do you fish? I fish the outgoing at night, and do well.thumbsup.gif

·
Official Member
100 Posts
Slow your retrive way down. Painfully slow-just to keep tension on the line and feel the plug working.

Try bucktails/shad slowly around the bottom edge of a school of bait.

As mentioned, night time, or daybreak/dusk when the tide starts moving.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alot of time me and my dad just go around high tide. Like if we are bored and feel like fighting fish.

If were looking for good sized bass we go in the morning about sunrise get to the beach while it is still dark

and at night at sun set.

Thanks for the info guys.

·
Official Member
301 Posts
How far away from the ava did you tie your teasers?

If you're fishin near where you live, the guys who are getting more fish than others are fishing the dropping tide, and casting out to the bar. The fish are sitting out there feeding on the sandeels that are still there.

How often fo you move, do you and your Dad just go to ther beach and cast one spot, or move around a lot? Some friends of mine are fishing the cuts and holes and still getting fish down there. You gotta keep movin until you hit fish, then you will pick up a few, and then it's time to move on. Try to change it up a bit and let us know how you do. Good luck,

·
3,471 Posts
Yup, what Darkskies said.

And keep in mind, it's almost January - not a lot of fish around and the few that are here can be pretty tough to catch.

Small swimmers and small teasers with lighter leader, 30# is good, is usually the ticket.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
find a club in your area that you can join. ask at bait shops for that info. if you hang around the shop enough and guys take you seriously, you could very well hook up with the right people to show you what you are doing wrong. you could hear 10 tips and go to the beach and screw em all up by just bad habits/ mechanics and a vague understanding of the conditions for those tips you got. no substitute for hands on thats for sure. there are way too many variables to learn from one day to the next, whether it be wind, water, timeliness, structure, sweep, suds, or skunk. all relevant. "except using suds and skunk in the same sentence. Me thinks:giggle:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats funny because i work in a tackle shop during the summer.

Ya im good any other stripers except from lures on the surf.

Thanks for the info guys i apprecate it. thumbsup.gif

·
4,419 Posts
In the early spring time the schoolies leave the rivers and run along the beach front and start filling in the back bays. They can be found around the flats, bogs and dark bottom shallow bay areas.
(Clams are the ticket during this period)
Match the spearing bait with 1 ounce jointed red fins and thunderstick type lures. Then try some paddletail storm shads and progressively get bigger as the larger bait move in. At least thats my approach during the day time tides. The key is to get out there and fish as often as you can.

·
Veteran Striper Chaser
222 Posts
BBJim Don,t give up.. If you can catch bass on sand eels then try catching them by casting out sand eels and reeling them in very,very slow. When that works,jump over to a silver tin and drag it along the bottom. WE KNOW YOU CAN DO IT,JUST DON,T GIVE UP. WE ALL HAVE DRY SPELLS,JUST KEEP FISHING

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never planned on giving up.

I know you got those good and bad days

And i know you gotta learn stuff you cant just go out and expect to catch the big fish.

I am gonna start using the rubber eels like and bucktails with curly tails on them.

·
Official Member
140 Posts
Go to Grumpys Tackle in Seaside Park and pick up the book "The Art of Surfcasting with Lures" by Zeno Hromin. Read the book front to back, then read it again.

Pay special attention to the chapters NOT on how to fish lures. You gotta know when and where to be before how to fish the lures. Then go out with only a couple different lures, such as a bucktail with a porkrind and a pencil. Bring a few sizes and a couple colors, keep it basic. Practice reading the water. You'll get it, stay persistant. Oh, and once things start heating up, become nocturnal. Stripers are too, so you'll find them more often.

·
take a kid fishing
8 Posts
Hey Jim, I read your post and it looks like you are using metals & poppers. Both will catch bass, but they are not always the best options. If you haven't already, you should consider adding swimming plugs like the bomber long a (the 5 or 6-inch versions cover most situations), and I can't stress this enough - start using soft plastics! I started using them over a decade ago, and I still wish I started using them sooner. For most surfcasting applications, the 4-inch version is fine. If you are fishing around structure (which you should be) you can use jigheads in the 3/8-ounce range. You will be able to fish slowly over rocks without getting hung up in them - it's great.

As mentioned earlier, s l o w is the way to go. The hour before sunrise is the time to be on the water, and as other posters said, work the area, and then move on. Surf fishing is not a lazy man's game. You have to work it.

Go get 'em!

·
Official Member
301 Posts
..., you should consider adding swimming plugs like the bomber long a (the 5 or 6-inch versions cover most situations), and I can't stress this enough - start using soft plastics! As mentioned earlier, s l o w is the way to go. The hour before sunrise is the time to be on the water, and as other posters said, work the area, and then move on. Surf fishing is not a lazy man's game. You have to work it.

Go get 'em!
Jim, what FirstCast said. Theres a lotta focus on custom plugs, but if you had no $$ and wanted to catch fish consistently for the rest of your life, you could do it with bucktails, bombers, and soft plastics. Bombers are one of the most underrated plugs imo, you can catch fish on them at night. Once you start catching more fish, your confidence will build and you can target the big girls. The key if you want to get better would be fishing in the darkness, as others mentioned. good luck

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
i use the magnums and load them with mineral oil. my go to in 2 locations here and a few off in deeper water if we can mark fish. i use a tapered fluorocarbon leader when i fish them. the lighter test at the end makes them swim better than if using 15# or more. i accidentally came across that application when i sailed a small bomber out on the spey rod as all they keyed in on that day was a fish and not a fly. one sweep with the rod and it was on. sometimes the color is just as important as the lure though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya i throw bombers at night

i never got into em cause it was hard getting them out with my old surf rod now i can launch them out there.

I go my surf bag all set up

Slot one-cripple hearing, ava 17 green tail, ava 17 yellow tail, ava 17&20 no tail, sandeel imitators.

Slot two- Pencil popper, 2 top water plugs

Slot three- 8 inch weighted eel, and fin S jig,

Slot four- Bomber and diving plugs

Than of course i also have 6inch walleye shad's on me.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
you've got a whole lifetime to learn and they will come. listen to learn and learn to listen. don't just breeze through everything and expect results. learn all you can. you';ll do fine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Keep working those plugs. If I don't see fish swirling at the surface then I go straight to a black or schoolbus bomber and reel at a moderate pace. Just remember that stripers are ambush predators and will lay in places that the current is blocked waiting for your offering to come by. Around jetties and submerged rocks, sand bars. Like I said, just keep at it.

·
Official Member
126 Posts
Also BigBassjim, there's a how to video somehwere on here about weighting salt bomber "A"'s with 10cc's of water by poking a hole in it. i used a paper clip and a lighter. See if you can find it, if not i'll send you a pm with intructions on how i did it. Super easy to do, they cast much further and swim a lil differently.

:guitarno9:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts