Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Striper Rigs using Sand Worms

8K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  CoachM 
#1 ·
Since this is my first post and I am a novice at Striper Fishing (only went once last year and had a great time) I look forward to the future on this site and with the fishing.

I am headed up to Cape Cod this week (looks like bad weather on my only days there Thursday & Friday) and plan to fish on the flats near Monomoy Island as I did last year. Only problem, can not remember the rigging that was used to fish with sand worms. Nor can I remember the size / type of hook that was used.

Any suggestions and/or help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Depending on the water just use a small hook and sinker that fits the current and tidal rips in the area, you want the worm on the bottom.

Basic setup i like to use is a slide sinker with a small swivel then a small leader of about 20 lb test (usually about 3 feet long) attached to a small shank hook, not too small but not too big. YOu will get something with this rig it will be perfect just put short sections with about an in ch hanging off the hook to start just because if you are getting scup they will chew your worms right down, but if all your getting is bass, just leave it hanging off the hook, basically the whole worm

Now fishing with sandworms you will get other bottom dwellers such as scup and tautog.

Be sure to bring a bigger surf rod with about 15-25 lbs test on it because if you happen to just be getting scup all day, Hook a live one up to a 7/0 Gamihatsu hook (hook him right behind the Dorsal Fin) and let him swim because of the Scup are around then The Bass are in the Area.

If the scup on the hook isnt getting any action just smack him on the water about 2 or 3 times...to stun him out a bit, because a bass will notice an injured fish within seconds...trust me...Also with the scup just cut the top dorsal fin off, it will help to get a better hook on the bass becasue the top fin won't pop up while the scup is in the Striped bass's mouth

Hope I helped you,
Adam

(GO GET SOME FISH)

#3 ·
Striper Report for Thurs/Fri

Adamfishy12,
Thanks for the information, I will keep it in mind for my next trip. I fished two day (Thurs. & Fri.) and caught a good amount of fish each day. Two of us landed over 45 stripers but they were "schoolies" in the 16" - 25" range. We did land one loner that was just about 28" and pretty thick. The flats off of North Monomoy were really foggy and rough so we could not sight fish like we planned. Fished mostly the channels formed as the tide receded. I believe if I had more time I would have hit the south beach flats and the point channel as they seemed to be seeing more big fish and a few blues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.