Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use Worms for bait for Stipers ?
And is it succesful ?
I go outta my way to use bunker or fish for snappers and never even thought of useing worms until today when i seen a guy pull in 2 stipers in 10 mn. on a freakin worm ?

wtf

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts
I use sandworms almost exclusively fishing off the beach in Old Orchard and do quite well with them. The biggest problem I run into tossin' bait on bottom, be it herring, mackerel or clam, is that the crabs make it disappear within a matter of minutes. Don't get me wrong, I will still use clam and/or macks every now and again but I know going in that I need to bring a lot of bait and check/change it out every 15-20 minutes religously. My fishing buddy will feed the crabs beside me and eventually get a chum trail going to draw the fish in but they see my worms dangling in the surf and scarf 'em right up. I reccomend rigging up a float and using two nice, big worms at a time......tested and proven my friend, trust me it works.

StriperHyper ~ Will

·
Registered
136 Posts
I remember fishing worms exclusively. I'm dating myself now, and I've tried different baits and techniques since, but worms fish...they always have. I used to just fish the Hudson too, but the last few years I've been on some beaches. For some reason I never really gave worms much thought in the surf.

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts
I made the switch over to blood worms this past weekend for no apparent reason other than to try something new. I'd used them maybe once or twice before but could never justify the extra 2-$3/dozen figuring that sand worms worked just the same. Well, between my buddy and I we fished 3 hours Saturday night and another 3 hours last night and I think I'll be using them a lot more often next season. All in all we had 8 or 9 bites and landed 6 fish, nothing of great size, but fish never the less. I lost another good one last night sitting too far from my rod like a dope, but a lesson was most definitely learned. The site of my Penn 850 skipping down the beach headed for the drink was NOT a very nice thing to witness even though it was my fault. I was bracing for the possibilty that I may have to jump in this cold water and fight the rolling waves to retrive it but thankfully I grabbed ahold of it before it got to that point. Headed out again tonight and probably tomorrow and Wednesday night as well weather permitting, hoping that big girl comes back again :smiley17e:

StriperHyper ~ Will

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh man,
Just the thought of my stuff skippin down the shore is enough for me, i've been fishin off the pier lately cause i keep forgetting to put the stake in my car.
switched to sandworms this morning, picked up a doz. @ $6 wtf ?
only to watch my hook bein picked clean time after time, switched to bunker and got 2 sea robins ??
needless to say 2 robins is my limit, picked up and left !

jim

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like to use bloods on the Hudson. Tried sandworms once...somewhere, but I'm familiar with the bloods. I wonder if the bait gets picked less when you float the worms?
Stryperhyper
It's good to hear the fishings good up there. I should be fishing this time next week.

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts
I wonder if the bait gets picked less when you float the worms?
Stryperhyper
It's good to hear the fishings good up there. I should be fishing this time next week.
Floating worms is an ABSOLUTE must my friend, otherwise your feeding crabs all day. Rig up your leader (18-24") and buy a bag of floats, don't bother paying the $6-8 they charge ya in the store for 2 floats...........u can rig up a dozen of them for pennies on the dollar if ya do it yourself. Attach the weight to the top of your barrel swivel/snap swivel coming off your main line and use a good-sized hook (I prefer a 6/0-7/0 circel hook). Cast out, weight sinks to the bottom and stays on the bottom (putting it on a sinker slide will cause it to move around) and your float, which should only be about 6" from your hook, will keep your offering away from the crabs. It's the only way I fish worms my friend, otherwise your checking your bait every 15 minutes and coming up empty. Mother Nature didn't agree with me last night so didn't get to fish but I am planning on an outing tonight off the beach. I'll let you guys know how I do.

StriperHyper ~ Will

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yeah, what am I thinking? Floatin 'em makes sense...its perfect. I think I'll rig up just that way too. This weekend into early next week looks like nice weather, so I'll find time to fish...pm me if interested, or to share info.

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts
The weather and conditions have been less than favorable these past few days so not much fishing to be had. I tried it again Tuesday night and lasted just over an hour before the sideways wind and mounds of seaweed forced me to call it quits....very disappointing since I was sitting on about 20 worms lefotver that were already on their last leg. I was riggging them up 3 at a time as opposed to 2 and let me tell ya they looked VERY tempting. Going away this weekend to NH (nowhere near ocean unfortunately), the tides don't look great for my timeframe next week and I have to work the weekend after so not sure when I'll be able to fish again. Still nowhere near ready to call it quits and I may just fish through Thanksgiving at this point. Good luck out there this weekend fellas, hope you guys get into some big gals flaoting them worms.

StriperHyper ~ Will

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts
Yeah I got a couple different places I can get worms. There is a store on rte 1 I can get bloods and really small sandworms (never buy sandworms there though) or this guy up the street in Camp Ellis who sells monster sandworms but doesn't always have bloods.

StriperHyper ~ Will

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts
So...let's just say these guys are real, and not make believe. Do they have names and numbers?
Sorry man your profile says ur from NY so i didn't think their names were relevant, wasn't trying to conceal them from ya or anything. Saco Bay tackle is on rte 1 in Saco, ME and Chevy's bait and tackle is down in Camp Ellis.

StriperHyper ~ Will

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts
I have heard good things about the Gulp products (with the exception of clams), but haven't heard much about the fishbites??? My personal opinion is that live bait, theoretically speaking, SHOULD out fish an artificial any day of the week. Some guys swear by the artificials but for my money I have a hard time believing something "looks" and/or "smells" more like the real thing than the ACTUAL real thing. Presentation is the key far as I'm concerned, with that being said give 'em a try, ya never know what you'll stumble upon in your travels

StriperHyper ~ Will

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.