Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Official Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they work? I see them in all the shops but don't read about them much here. Are they any good? How do you fish them? Reel them in like spinners? Drop and twitch them like jigs (they seem a LOT like fish-shaped jigs to me) or twitch and jerk them like rapelas?

Also, I saw my first Big 'Ol Spinnerbait in the saltwater section today. Why haven't I seen this before? I use these for LMB Is there any reason that they wouldn't work on Stripers?

·
(formerly brian21johansen)
975 Posts
I'm not sure on the spinner baits but I love the storm shads. My favorite is the Pearl Colored ones but a lot of guys like the mackerel ones better. I've never caught anything with the mackerel pattern or the bunker pattern but have heard that they both work really well. Just cast out and retrieve....try working different levels of the water as well. If your not getting anything mid water level let them sink down more and work the bottom where bigger fish tend to be anyways. I've used the Pearl colored storm shads a lot and didn't think they worked until one day I caught a couple of fish in the 20" range on them. This gave me the confidence I needed to fish them correctly. Fish them with confidence because 1)They DO work when fish are present and 2) If you fish a lure with confidence you'll catch more fish.

·
Cow Catcher
937 Posts
I catch alot of small fish on them under 33" nothing huge but they work.
Early season schoolies GALORE.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Mr. Grumpy. I've used those spinnerbaits before and caught fish on them. I have two problems with them. 1, they are so light and wind resistant that it's tough to get any distance with them on a surf rod. Not bad for tossing on lighter gear from the kayak though. 2, they're pretty much shot, bent quite out of shape, after one decent fish. You can bend it back, but it will never be quite the same.

Storm Shads,, I like the 6" bunker or pearl colors where I fish. Cast, let sink to the desired depth, the reel. A steady retreive just fast enough to feel the paddle tail working is good, but don't be afraid to mix it up if that's not getting hits.

·
Official Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I now have three lures that I am trying to learn. Do you think that's too many for a new guy? I'm doing three fresh water lures as well but I am confident in them because, as Brian said, I have caught fish on them so I am getting comfortable with them. I have only caught (one)striper on bait:clams. I think that I am a lot more confident to begin with fishing a 45 acre pond than an entire Ocean and 1/3 of a huge river.
........ they're pretty much shot, bent quite out of shape, after one decent fish.......
I pretty much thought that this would be a problem on "regular" spinnerbiats. That's why I was excited to see the larger "salt water" ones. I know that they catch bass (I got one so big that I won't even bother telling the story since I have no proof because I wasn't expecting to catch anything, never mind a LMB that was bigger than the striper I caught) but I know that stripers and fresh water bass aren't quite the same animal.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
pearl or white.
you have to swim them. they just don;t work if you toss it out and reel.(unless you toss it into a feeding frenzy). reel slowly and keep pressure on it and if you get a hit you will know it but sometimes you wanna get the hit and stop it for just that one second to feel the weight of the fish and then set the hook. if he is not on ( i say he as the smaller fish tend to chase them as the big girls may have to have it pass right in front of them) don;t reel, just let it sink as it may have been slapped. more times than not the fish will blast it and turn simultaneously but white or pearl are the ones to use imo (in day or night)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.