Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to share the benefits of a new invention created to make our lives easier when catching baitfish. See below and let me know what you think!

No more tangled multi-hook rigs with The Hook Tunnel - The solution to store and fish with Sabiki rigs. Be among the first to get one or many, and help a new product come to life for our community.

Launched today, visit my Kickstarter page here and benefit from the early bird specials.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1508135161/the-hook-tunnel-whytangle-llc

Fishing should be relaxing!

·
Keelhauler
599 Posts
Glad to see you made it over here, Luc.
Hopefully it helps your cause. Looking forward to getting my hands on one.
(I backed him yesterday after talking to him on a FB striper thread and recommend he post it here)

-Zach

Reactions: WhyTangle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see a lot of views, but not necessary a lot of interest in the new Hook Tunnel. Is it because you don't like it, or is it something else? I need your honest feedback (my feelings won't be hurt!). Because I thought people would like it as much as I do I put a lot of efforts to make it become a reality for everyone. If you guys like it but there is something that is stopping you from getting one, let me know what it is and I'll try my best to make it happen. Really need your feedback here!

Thanks

Luc

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see a lot of views, but not necessary a lot of interest in the new Hook Tunnel. Is it because you don't like it, or is it something else? I need your honest feedback (my feelings won't be hurt!). Because I thought people would like it as much as I do I put a lot of efforts to make it become a reality for everyone. If you guys like it but there is something that is stopping you from getting one, let me know what it is and I'll try my best to make it happen. Really need your feedback here!

Thanks

Luc
Trying to figure out how it doesn't affect sensitivity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trying to figure out how it doesn't affect sensitivity.
Thanks for your comment. It's a good question and I ran a test to convince myself as well (I'm a scientist...I don't like not to know either). The test setup was not pretty so I did not document it with a video (I'm planning on doing it at a later time). I used a regular fishing rod and attached the fishing line to a power cutting tool (the vibrating type) to simulate a bite from a small fish (I validated that it felt like a bite). Then I taped my cell phone on the rod handle (where your hand would be) and recorded the acceleration with an app. After that, I installed the Hook Tunnel on the rod and fed the fishing line through it, and attached the line to the tool the same way I did with the rod alone. The same acceleration was measured for both! And I can confirm that it felt the same when I was holding the rod myself. Not a pretty test, but it definitely convinced me. My interpretation is that the force is transmitted from the Hook Tunnel (pretty rigid) to the rod at the attachment point with very little loss, and so we can feel the same bite (or very close to). I ran many other tests on other aspects of the Hook Tunnel (wear resistance, strength, etc) to make sure that what I claim is real. Of course I may have missed a few things (nothing major I would think), and I haven't tested all the possibilities (for example long-term performances) so we will likely find areas that could use some improvement. And that's exactly why I need help from the fishing community to bring it to life! (I can't stomach the cost of the injection molding tooling on my own, hence why the Kickstarter campaign). I honestly like it and can't wait to use it again soon (I'm in Albany area), and would love for others to have it too. Otherwise it will be just me, and I think it's a shame!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I like the idea but before i blow $60 on something that isn't even made yet I would need to see the actual product in action. If it's as good as you think it will be take out a $10K loan and make it happen or find an investor to go in on it. There's definitely a market for it if you can make one work. The sensitivity is the key factor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the idea but before i blow $60 on something that isn't even made yet I would need to see the actual product in action. If it's as good as you think it will be take out a $10K loan and make it happen or find an investor to go in on it. There's definitely a market for it if you can make one work. The sensitivity is the key factor.
Thanks for the comment. If I understand what you're saying correctly, you'd be interested to buy one if you had more evidence it works, maybe from people other than the inventor (me), of maybe by testing one yourself? Does it sound about right? Because I've already made one work and demonstrated it. Next step is to produce it in quantities. I've already invested quite a bit to develop the product and test it, plus the patent application, forming a company, etc. I'm not excluding taking a loan or investing more money either as you are suggesting. I really appreciate and value your comments/suggestions. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
That's correct. I'd like to either use the finished product before I buy one or see tons of reviews online saying it's great. If you remember a few years ago there was a sabiki rod where the rigs reeled up inside a pvc tube and they were all the rage until people realized they couldn't feel the fish hit. At this point for you it's decision time. Borrow some money/use your savings, bring on an investor or investors and get it done or continue with the Kickstarter thing. The first two options are far better/simpler and quicker but there's some risk obviously so the third option may be a happy medium if it works. I bought a 32 year old Window Coverings business in 2019 and was extremely nervous but it's worked out extremely well. Sometimes you need to trust your gut and go big!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's correct. I'd like to either use the finished product before I buy one or see tons of reviews online saying it's great. If you remember a few years ago there was a sabiki rod where the rigs reeled up inside a pvc tube and they were all the rage until people realized they couldn't feel the fish hit. At this point for you it's decision time. Borrow some money/use your savings, bring on an investor or investors and get it done or continue with the Kickstarter thing. The first two options are far better/simpler and quicker but there's some risk obviously so the third option may be a happy medium if it works. I bought a 32 year old Window Coverings business in 2019 and was extremely nervous but it's worked out extremely well. Sometimes you need to trust your gut and go big!
It makes sense and I understand the hesitancy. Thanks for all the feedback and good luck in your fishing. Oh, maybe one last question, is the price weighing a lot in your decision? At what point would you say "this seems interesting, I'll give it a shot". Or is that not really a deciding factor? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You're welcome and that is a great question. Of course price matters but if it really works I'm not sure $10 one way or the other matters. Sabikis are such a PIA to deal with that a legit solution would be very popular. Do you live in Albany?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're welcome and that is a great question. Of course price matters but if it really works I'm not sure $10 one way or the other matters. Sabikis are such a PIA to deal with that a legit solution would be very popular. Do you live in Albany?
I know, I had a love-hate relationship with Sabikis myself, until I started using my invention. I attach it to a beaten rod that I can't really use otherwise (we probably all have one of them...gives it a second life). When I'm done catching baitfish, I reel the sabiki in and forget about it until I need it again. Sabiki is always ready, doesn't tangle, not exposed, you can throw it in the car/boat/kayak/garage/shed or carry it (think in the woods when fishing from the shore) and not worry about the hooks at all. Works great for herrings for sure. Yes, I live in the Albany area. Do you? I've been really busy, but I might have time to go out for the first time this year next week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts