Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I use both live and chunk. just wondering if there was any special way to chunk them or is it personal preference.

ie, cut in half? head better? tail better? cut head and tail off and use body? just want everyones opinion

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
hey guys, I use both live and chunk. just wondering if there was any special way to chunk them or is it personal preference.

ie, cut in half? head better? tail better? cut head and tail off and use body? just want everyones opinion
I cut mine in thirds ... or if they are really big or tough to come by in quarters.

Some people swear by the head, some by the middle section and others by the tail. I have caught fish on all.

Biggest trick to chunk is to change it regularly .... every ten minutes or so which is tough now that we are limited to 10 per day.

·
Official Member
572 Posts
10 chunked should give you a full day of fishing. If you change bait every 10 minutes (I go 15) and cut them in thirds, that is 6 chunks per hour or two fish. Thus 10 will last 5 hours. Add a couple hours to get to and from the river and for moving from spot to spot and you got yourself a day!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
10 chunked should give you a full day of fishing. If you change bait every 10 minutes (I go 15) and cut them in thirds, that is 6 chunks per hour or two fish. Thus 10 will last 5 hours. Add a couple hours to get to and from the river and for moving from spot to spot and you got yourself a day!
I fish 3 rods ... plus i plan on catching some fish!

1 herring at 10 minute changes last 10 minutes x 10 herring = 100 minutes so that isn't even two hours. Catch 4 or 5 fish, have some chunks ruined by catfish and you might be done in an hour.

My take on chunking anyway..... I would much rather fish live herring and avoid the mess and catfish even though i know i may not be as productive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.