Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be fishing near the Southampton this coming weekend – not a seasoned surf angler at all. I have a 7’6” Shimano Teramar with a Revo inshore. What should I spool up with? What type of baits? What’s biting? Any help would be great. Thanks!

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts
Not sure what area you'll be fishing but if you're planning on surfcasting you're gonna need a bigger pole. I wouldn't go under 9' if ur slinging from the beach. You're 7'6 will work fine in other areas but you'll need to use lighter line. Get yourself a nice 9-10' pole and string it up with 65 lb braid with a mono backing. Stick to seaworms or chunk herring/mackerel off the beach and try ur hand in catching stripers and blues. If ya bring your 7'6 to the beach be prepared to stand out in the surf all night, which will require a pair of waders or some really thick skin. Good luck man, hope ya get into something this weekend.

StriperHyper ~ Will

·
4,419 Posts
A few scraglers out there. The boat guys are picking fish. Nice fluke and a few stripers. Not many guys surfcasting yet. The inlets have the usual crews fishing them Bucktailers and tins during the day. Sand bar edges off of the eastern ends. Clam dunkers. Eels under the bridge at night.
You would be ok with sand worms, squid and clams for bait.
Live killies for fluke.

Your setup is kind of small for surfcasting but if your just out for a sand spike lounge chair pier day. Have fun. Spool the reel to the maximum it can take. Its on the side of the reel. A local tackle shop can help and spool mono on it for 10 bucks or so.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get yourself some hooks like in the range of 5/0.
Tie A tandem rig tip the hook with some squid.
Launch your bait out there and see what happens.
There A lot of scavenger fish out there that will
keep you busy. Like sea robbins, skates and dog fish
maybe A porgy fluke or A sea bass. Most important
have fun make friends and get ideas from the people
in the area. I wouldn't spend any money until I got A
idea on what is going on. This time of year the fishing
is pretty good. More or less kick back take A look and
decide what you want to do after exploring A day or
two. Then you can comit to A outfit to the species your
looking to tackle.:a_goodjob:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.