Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Lunker
155 Posts
8'-9' should be good. If a 9' isn't to heavy for him I would go with that. One reason is because he won't grow out of it until he just wants to upgrade the rod to a higher end rod. Secondly, I am thinking that extra momentum of the 9' will help him cast further, just like it would if an adult was using it. Just not as far as an adult. If you bridge fish/pier fish (make sure you have a harmless way to get the fish up to you) an 8' would be perfect for that. Just my .02.

Alex

· Veteran
1,894 Posts
Great you will have a fishing buddy the rest of your life. It depends on where you go fishing . Do you fish off a boat, peir, or surf? If you fish the Cape Beaches you need a long rod, 11' or 13' because the beaches don't drop off fast. If you fish Plum Island, a 9' rod would do. Look around and see what the other guy is using. Ask some questions.

· Lurker supreme
52 Posts
Both my daughters fish with me and have customized Shimano rods that are 8'. They are 13 and 11 and with the exception of hooking their own eels can hold their own. I love getting asked to go fishing either to the closest trout hole or out to the canal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.