Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
So with this new front and much colder weather upon us, do you work up front or start at inlets? I know there is supppsed to be a sea due to the storm, but some inlets have a bar that helps knock down waves to make fishable. Also is there any truth to fishing a certain tide if mullet are stationed just inside an inlet?

Ok enough from my jabbering.....:partysmilie:

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi seacups. I'll work both depending on conditions. Inlets are great for concentrating fish and bait into a confined area, but you can't always get on your rock LOL.

As for mullet, I've never found them to stage, or be stationary once they are out of the inlet. They will stage at the backsides of inlets, and some are doing exactly that now in my area. Some have already left. Two years ago, they were still some in the bay in late October, so they are difficult to pinpoint.

Fishing mullet is opportunistic. Some pods might have fish on them, many won't, and will leave you scratching your head as to why LOL. As for what tide they leave on, most every fish bails on the outgoing with the tide pushing on their arse LOL.

· Registered
3 Posts
Rich
Been out the last nights trying to find some playtime with those little blue buggers, but so far no one at the playground. The water has been a little stained so maybe thats not helping. Do you find whening fishing these guys daytime out performs or is night better?

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that's a good question LOL. I never really thought about which way they go up on the NS. My guess would still be west and then south at the river, but maybe somebody from that area will chime in and help clear it up.

I know a couple NS guys, so I'll see if they know.

· Registered
1 Posts
Bluefishing is typically better during the day when fishing artificials. You can (and will) catch them at night, but they really make their presense known at first light.
So your saying their activity is more governed by light and dark rather than the tide? Aren't saltwater predators more tide dependent vs. time of day like a freshwater largemouth bass, for example.

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi scoobystas, and welcome.

Not all predators are created equal and bluefish and stripers have different feeding patterns. You can, and will, catch bluefish at night, but they become far more active when it starts to get light. When I'm fishing at night, on the east side of an inlet, and I catch two bluefish in a row, I know that when I turn around and look east, I'll be seeing false dawn LOL.

The relationship between tide and time is a complicated one because it depends on many other variables, like bait and water temps (time of year). Baits come and go at different times of the year and that has a whole lot to do with the where, when, and what stage of a tide is most productive.

· Registered
8 Posts
FWIW: I was checking some spots from Avalon - Cape May

On Thursday, 10/6/11, I took a drive down from Wilm. Delaware to thye Jersey beaches checking what the Mother Nature had created and taken back from all the dredging being done lately.

Well, th 5th - 8th street jetty's in Avalon were catching a few blues, lots of King's but not much in the way of stripers. At 8th street there were a few beachers trying for linesiders but to no avail. 8th street does look like a good place for stripers when they start though.

At the bridge from Stone Harbor to Anglesea(wildwood) I saw some people fishing around the bridge but they were'nt doing anything fishwise.

At Wildwood,,,lot's of buggy's on the beach on Hereford Inlet but I didn't walk down there. Up on the jetty most were fishing for tog or kingfish and not doing too well.
Around the corner of the mouth of Hereford Inlet by the drainage pipe at 1st street, they were working the surf for stripers, maybe half dozen buggies. They were doing nothing.

Went down to Cape May at Sunset Beach and then over to Higbees near the ferry terminal. Nothing to speak of other then a few Kings.
I did see a guy trying to net mullet but wasn't getting much.

Bottom Line,,,we need a cooling of the water and be able to see the clouds of mullet in the water before the stripers get it in gear.

I won't beat the water with clams, eels, bunker, mullet, or my large assortment of lures till I hear they are in Delaware Bay, and I have good sources for that info.

If I hear something, I'll post it.

C'mon November,,,lol.

Bassmanbone:sleepy1:

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Bassmanbone, and welcome. Now that's covering some territory. Thanks for sharing your tour of duty and I'm sorry that it wasn't more productive for you. Then again, as the old saying goes, that's why they call it fishing LOL. Good stuff.:icon_smile:

· Registered
8 Posts
My Fall starts Nov. 1st,,,lol. My best fishing is done Nov. - Dec. I'm strickly surf walker/wader and jetty hopper. If I can net fresh mullet I'll use that, if not, then clams or work a plug in behind the curl of the waves.

They did alotta dredging at the mouth of the Hereford inlet last year and good ole mother nature took it all back and then some.

I'm a firm believer in "don't mess with Mother Nature"

When things are slow and I want some action in early October,,,fly fishing for snapper blues is fun.
:flyfish:

Bassmanbone

· Registered
8 Posts
Cmoorenj,,,,That's great cause it moves south to OBX. I haven't seen the scads of mullet yet but I will(south Jersey)

I'm semi-retired so I'll pounce when the monster beach runners arrive. I'll have alotta time on my hands in Nov.

:mental:

· Registered
9 Posts
ive been seeing them on the incoming tides on the front beaches, just got back i had to decide if a wanted to grab mullet or snappers and i chose snappers , small blitz didnt even give my bait a chance to get to the bottom....8 all day then i had to get off the waves started coming into the tracks and its a 3 mile trip off the beach

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A relatively slow Fall thus far in my neck of the woods. There's been some pop-up bites, but all-in-all the fishing is pretty slow. Montauk, as usual, has had some good action, but much of the south shore of LI is off. Then again, we haven't seen the sand eels anywhere near the same level as the past couple years. The upside to this, is that many of the traditional (non-sand eel) bites in the bay are starting to shape up again.

· Registered
93 Posts
The Herring is in now I heard some good news that theres fish on them.

These were caught in the bay and I found the most interresting stomach contends in them...

Usually theres just mush in there bellies I always thought they ate real small stuff like plankton or tiny things?? You learn something new everyday :icon_wekke:

· Registered
5 Posts
Wow herring are in already? I love catching them. And I always find small and sometimes large shrimp in their bellies. But never a sandeel!

The Herring is in now I heard some good news that theres fish on them.

These were caught in the bay and I found the most interresting stomach contends in them...

Usually theres just mush in there bellies I always thought they ate real small stuff like plankton or tiny things?? You learn something new everyday :icon_wekke:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.