Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to go fishing in the Delaware today after school but I had no bait. There is no bait shop around where I live so, I went to ACME to get some chicken liver which has worked wonders for me in the past, but they were all out. Went to the seafood section to get some clams but they were all above $8 for like 15 clams. I crossed the street to Wal-Mart and luckily they had some good ol' night crawlers so I bought some. Finally, I arrived at the river with my brother and we began fishing. Almost every time we reeled in a fish it would get snagged. Ever since I moved here to Burlington, NJ and fished the Delaware, I have probably lost a total of over 100 weights and hooks. If any body has any suggestions on rigging, hooks, or weights for rocky waters, please tell me. We did land some fish. My brother landed a 10lb channel cat and 3 good size white bass. For me, the only thing I landed was the biggest eel in the world. So, I knocked him around a bit to keep him from going crazy and rigged him up to my line. This eel had to be at least 2 1/2 feet long but I just threw him out there anyways to see what I could get. We were there till 7:00 p.m without a single bite on the eel nor a single striper, so we decided to call it quits and headed home so I could finish all my HOMEWORK! When we finished packing everything up, stripers began jumping out of the water, wanted to unpack and stay longer but couldn't. What do you guys suggest throwing out there when the fish start feeding on the bugs on top of the water. Any particular lures?? Oh yeah, I'm using 30lb test on some 7 1/2ft Quantum Ocean pole that my grandmother got me with a 3oz bank sinker because the current tends to drag your line down river which is also another reason why I always get snagged in the rocks. Anyways here are my 3 main questions. :D

1)What types of rigs, weights, and hooks should I use for rocky waters and rapid currents.

2)What type of lure or bait should I toss out when the fish start feeding on top of the water.

3)Should I use a bobber?

· Premium Member
5,899 Posts
I have the same problem with getting hung up in rocks where I fish, although there are only tidal currents, unlike a river. Since I started doing this, though, I haven't lost another weight. When I'm ready to reel in, I'll take up the slack in the line, not really pullin in at all, just taking up the slack, then I'll tighten my drag up pretty tight, hold the rod tip high and give it a hard yank, almost like a cast in reverse. Then just reel fast and high to keep it off the bottom as it comes in. If I just pick up the rod and start reeling, I'll get hung up almost every time.

I still can't really fish any lures there besides top water stuff, and swim shad. Pretty much everything else I've tried there ends up in lure heaven.

Hope that helps!!

· Registered
1,065 Posts
I'd use poppers for the boiling fish...
As for weights...I guess if you had some to spare, I've seen guys tie their weight to a lighter piece of line. So when it gets snagged, the weight breaks free...but thats no very cost effective, plus I think that is more to save the whole rig and not solve the problem you are having...
...Sorry I couldn't have been more help... :D

· Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the tips guys. Went there again today and caught ten good size stripers, finally, and my brother hooked another catty but this time in was no small one. I told him that he should respool his rod since the line has been there since last year but he didn't. So, he hooked the fish and fought it for a good 15 min as he was about to land this catty which had to be 20lbs+ and a good 36in. the line snapped near the fish and further down the line. When I ran my fingers down the line after he had lose the fish, there was tons of little nicks. I'm sure that he will respool his line before our next fishing trip. Oh yeah, ZERO snags today. :D :D

· Registered
1,227 Posts
First off Congradulations

I have a couple of questions(if ya dont mind) since i want to fish the deleware soon for stripers. What bait did u use, where were u on the dele, and do u fish from lane like me or boat?

Thanks

· Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Striper777, I fish from the banks and we were using chicken liver and night crawlers. My brother hooked the catty on the chicken liver which is like magic bait. Right when your bait hits the water get ready to set the hook. I just replied to your other post as to where I fish along with some pictures, so you could see it there. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.