Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· First Mate
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.......Ive been boating for about 14 years now with i/o's and inboards. I have purchased my first outboard (Mercury 150 offshore) It seems pretty smokey upon starting and then goes away after about 3 minutes or so. Are outboards more smokey? Is this normal? ........(it's certainly a pretty loud engine) Any thoughts?
:BenNudd:

· Registered
30 Posts
usually, 2cycles are a bit smokey. Sometimes, if it appears to be a bit much, You might just be burning off some carbon. Once a month I throw a half a can of seafoam in the tank.....my merc 115 smokes like crazy for a few minutes (burning off any carbon residue) and then runs almost smoke free and smooth after that....good stuff
BF9

· Registered
30 Posts
Yup, right in the tank! It also has a drying agent in it. So in a sense, you're actually cleaning, lubricating and taking care of any moisture in the fuel system.

Work MIRACLES on old fishing reels too! lol
take care

· King of Eels
4,227 Posts
THE reason 2 strokes smoke alot when first started is because all the oil has drained down from the bearings and scavange ports and is now pooled in the crankcase, on two stroke motors the air/fuel/oil mixture is inducted into the crankcase on the intake stroke, the fule/oil mixture then passes over the bearings as it goes through the intake port, any unburned oil in the crankcase adds to this mixture and causes the excess smoke.......

I personaly do not recomend any additive (except for fuel stabilizer) even de-carbonizers, as popular as they are, tend to swell carbon in the ring lands and can lead to ring land failure and piston/engine damage, they also can cause hot spots in the piston dome that can lead to detonation and piston failure... my .02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.