Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i'm going to try adding small rattles to my 9' sluggo's. Cut a small slit, slid it in and glue shut.

Do you think a striper would shy away? Worth a shot!

Anyone ever try this? I know smallmouth like it, but thier a very curious fish by nature, not sure if stripers are. Unfortunatly i'm stationed in Buffalo NY and I only get 8 days a year to chase my favorite fish.

Thoughts?

Tight lines

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
the small glass ones?
some rattles you can make yourself with a 22 cal. shell and a ball bearing.
i mean, one pop of the rod tip and a thump may be the ticket.
never ask what anyone thinks as opinions are like "A#*&[email protected]#^ES. and just do it and report your success or failure and then a "constructive" explanation/description/assessment/conclusion etc: can be drawn. i see the lightbulb over your head as we speak.....

·
Jigologist
472 Posts
I used to use the small steel ones in my sluggos.. just shove them into the rubber near the tail as it waggles when you work it... did it make a difference? .. not sure but it made me feel good:anon:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason i was asking is i only have 8 days in august to go to maine and fish an play poker so i wanted to see if it made a differance so i could maximize my effort. I'll run a few tests in my secret hole that only 3 states and a few thousand locals know about. :whistle:

I'll do the man thing i think and go BIG on the rattle (as big as i can without compromising action or mishaping the tail) and i like the idea of slippen it in the tail. I was going head, but i like the tail idea.

The place i fish is a mud flat so water is always off color so i think a rattle may just give me the edge i need. one more month of laying awake waiting.

I still have lots of flies to tie up as well before August gets here.

·
Striper Hunter
987 Posts
The Sluggo's have very good "wiggle" to them. I agree the best place for a rattle is the tail but if you go too big it may not swim properly and may lose some of it's wiggle. I'd suggest going as light as possible
:icon_salute2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may be right. Bigger is sometimes not always better. I got a few small glass ones in my fly tying materials. I'll just use them.

I was also brain storming a really off the wall idea... making a crab shaped lead head (painted crab colors) to rig on a sluggo, so it looks like the eel is eating a small crab. Now i just have to find either small rubber crabs
(insert small rattle for struggling sound effects) or a small crab mold.

I think maybe i should just turn my brain off for a bit.

Hmmmm.... Thats what i love about fishing. Endless possibilities

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll tell ya what... i glued dolleyes and added a x-small glass one in the tail. because i cant fish until august i filled the tub and jumped on in to test them out.

The hardest part was getting the barb out of my cheek. :shocked: i shoulda followed the other post of smashin the barbs down prior.

leasoned learned

I'm hoping to retire from the coast guard with 30 years in maine and start guiding. Dreams can come true!!! God willing of course.

Be safe out on the water folks. 24 years of Coast Guard service i have seen some things (drownings&boating accidents) and cannot stress that enough. Wether your wading or boating. be smart and safe and check your safety gear prior to each outing! all the time & everytime.

·
Registered
27 Posts
While at my local tackle shop today I saw rattles that had eyes on both ends. I assume you would push them all the way through the lure more towards the front of the lure right behind the weights. They were on the racks with the sluggo/hoagy rigs and weights, belive they were made by Lunker City.
I know I'm new to the site but I would try adding the rattles if I was sure the fish are around but the bite is slow.

Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey tom,

i'm new here as well, but new or old your input and ideas are as good as anyone elses. feel free to pass along the knowledge, you will be helping someone even though you don't realize it.

as for the rattles... i used 1 little glass one in the tail, but i wont know the results until august. COME ON AUGUST! Sheeesh.

How do i quit my job so i can fish full time, and convince my wife to work full time without causing WWIII? Can it be done? Do I risk it?

·
First Mate
654 Posts
I use and they make rattles that can hook onto your hook. I use them quite often on jigs. THey also have one that can go on your lne at the head of your bait. I know bass pro has a few different ones and I think I may have saw a few on Jans or one of those lure making sites. I do think they work and love them on my jigs. Here is the page from janns netcraft with the rattles
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Search/rattle.aspx

for bass pro just search rattle or rattles and they will pop up. I have used the Strike King jig rattles for ages

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
the small ones are for small baits. the larger ones larger and so on.
don't buy the plastic ones as the sound is duller and burrying them in the bait further dullens the sound "not that the minute sounds on the bottom won't work" just not as clear. glass rattles with multiple metal (3) inside are best i got some from METZ a while back and bought them all up as i am not near a good fly shop. vertical jigging is where these excell as the front to back knock of the ball bearings will click on the upward sweep of the rod tip. on the horizontal shore casting it suffers a bit as you need to give the jig some movement to have it "settle" if you will. a lunker city jig head on the front end will have the jig "in this case slugg-o" drop and the tail with the rattle will ride so as the rattle faces down on the drop and when retrieved will pop the rattle. i'm no expert on the subject of jigging like the JIGMAN so he will elaborate on whether or not action is altered in a negative way by doing this in some flats fishing, but in some of my jig fly's i will have this effect

·
Lurker supreme
52 Posts
I been laid off since February and so far it's working out ok... :10187:

Hey tom,

i'm new here as well, but new or old your input and ideas are as good as anyone elses. feel free to pass along the knowledge, you will be helping someone even though you don't realize it.

as for the rattles... i used 1 little glass one in the tail, but i wont know the results until august. COME ON AUGUST! Sheeesh.

How do i quit my job so i can fish full time, and convince my wife to work full time without causing WWIII? Can it be done? Do I risk it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the day finally came when I got to drive 8 hours from Buffalo to Maine to enjoy some eel slime and black flies and maybe an occasional striper. To my dismay, after I get to Maine, I forgot my rattle laced Sluggos! "Son of a B"

At that moment I had an epiphany. If a rubber eel with a rattle is good than a live eel with a rattle is even better. As I looked into my little cooler and looked at those eels looking back at me with soulful loving eyes I settle on one that looked like he would give me the least trouble. Wrong answer!:smiliedoh:

I got the rattle down his throat and shook him near my ear, just to give it a listen. Oh man this is going to be good... I did land a 30 inch fish on that eel, but I cannot come to any conclusion if it was the rattle or just the eel because it was my last rattle I had in my bag and I lost the eel. More testing is needed :icon_stirthepot:

Oodles of fun wrestling that eel and ramming a rattle in his gullet.

Tight lines everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.