Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Official Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The season started out pretty good till the rain came. The river turned to mud and haven't seen a striper in two weeks. Hopefully the fish move in and the water clears up before the ale house tourney on saturday.

· Official Member
580 Posts
True facts: I first stared fishing the Hudson in about 1992 in a serious way. In terms of cats, big bull heads were the rule. Black, brown, I can't tell the difference but they had big bull heads and square tails. Then, about 12 years ago I started catching slim, handsome catfish, about 3-4 inches long. Having lived in the Midwest, I recognized them as channel cat. Since then, each year they have grown bigger. 24" is about the biggest I have caught so far. I have read they won't get much bigger because of the short growing season up here. Down south they get 20 pounds.
Bull heads are almost now non-existent as far as I can tell. So are the shad.
I think the channels ate them all.

· Registered
363 Posts
True facts: I first stared fishing the Hudson in about 1992 in a serious way. In terms of cats, big bull heads were the rule. Black, brown, I can't tell the difference but they had big bull heads and square tails. Then, about 12 years ago I started catching slim, handsome catfish, about 3-4 inches long. Having lived in the Midwest, I recognized them as channel cat. Since then, each year they have grown bigger. 24" is about the biggest I have caught so far. I have read they won't get much bigger because of the short growing season up here. Down south they get 20 pounds.
Bull heads are almost now non-existent as far as I can tell. So are the shad.
I think the channels ate them all.
I caught a17lb channel cat off highland shore a couple years ago

· Registered
22 Posts
I caught a17lb channel cat off highland shore a couple years ago
I've also caught several over 10 lbs and 32 inches from shore and heard of them close to 20 lbs...I wouldn't be surprised if someone catches a mid 20 lber sooner or later. The river may be tidal but the big ones can just find a hole and sit and eat anything that floats down the river. I think it has the potential to become a good fishery for big channels down the road. Its not like very many people would keep/eat them, they are so full of PCB's anyways.

· Official Member
580 Posts
I've also caught several over 10 lbs and 32 inches from shore and heard of them close to 20 lbs...I wouldn't be surprised if someone catches a mid 20 lber sooner or later. The river may be tidal but the big ones can just find a hole and sit and eat anything that floats down the river. I think it has the potential to become a good fishery for big channels down the road. Its not like very many people would keep/eat them, they are so full of PBC's anyways.
It would be interesting to have them actually tested for toxins. Any DEC biologists out there? I can get you all you want.

When you buy catfish at the fish market, channel cat is what you get. Beautiful fish. Small ones look like a trout with whiskers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.