Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If you were buying bank sinkers what size would you buy?

thanks
I use egg sinkers but up here in Albany / Troy area it typically takes 3 or 4 oz to hold bottom if you are anchored.......if you need more than that it usually means the current is really rippin due to a storm and it isn't worth fishing anywhere as the water is stained.

·
Bring on the Fish!
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I ony suggested bank sinkers as they seem to be the cheapest and most readily available. Do you think there is an advantage to egg sinkers?

·
Super Moderator
1,111 Posts
where i fish we use 5 0z and 6 oz bank sinkers. but the current is always strong there. it all depends where on the river you are fishing... we fish from shore

·
Reel Deep Thinker!!!
68 Posts
If you use disc sinkers they are less likely to be effected by the current then bank sinkers. They sit flat, so less weight is needed to pin them to the bottom.

·
Official Member
105 Posts
I use either bank sinkers or egg sinkers, I find bank's to be more versatile because i also use them for jigging but I find myself using egg's more for fishing, but I only go up to 3 oz., but you have to get out there and figure out what the lightest weight you can use and still hold bottom is, it all varies by the area, even by which side of the river you are on, my advice is to get everything from 2 oz. to 6 oz. and just keep a couple on the boat.

·
Official Member
490 Posts
there is alot of ways to fish the herring didn't think that stuck to the bottem is the only way a slow or fast drift might be the tack that fools her thats the thing it's fishing nothing works all the timebiggrin2.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts