Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LunkerSpunker
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw what looked to be at least a 40 lber swim literally 2 feet in front of me in such shallow water her back was exposed. If you never thought you could catch a big girl in such skinny water, think again...I know I'm rethinking. This was also at about noon on a 85 degree day. I couldn't make anything happen.... I'm trying to plan my next move. Suggestions?

·
1,559 Posts
There are books written on that subject.
I have caught many cows in skinny water. Mostly at night however.
I have seen blitzs with Bass half way exposed.
Daylight is probably not a good time to target these areas, as the fish can see you, and are way more spooked than under the cover of night.
I like to work Eels nice and slow in the shallow boulder fields where I fish.

·
LunkerSpunker
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I left the eels in the car as I made one last stop before heading home. It was mid day and hot so I figured I'd walk along and just plug...down and back then home. I think an eel mighta made something happen. I have read about half exposed striper blitzes Gunny but have never seen such a thing. Come to think of it I rarely ever SEE a striper like you do so often LMB fishing etc. I usually only am hinted to their presence...a vwake under surface etc. I was excited to see fish in this area as my results there have been mixed over the years. I'm due for a new book, have a good one in mind GunnySniper?

·
Rubber Shad Ex-spert
309 Posts
Something similar happened to me too. Reeling in a worm on a fish finder. Reelin it in, and about 6 feet in front of me my weight was skidding over the surface, and 'splash!'. Spooked something. Didn't get a look what it was, but maybe I should have been drifting my sea worm a little closer to shore instead of casting into orbit.

·
Basstastic
46 Posts
Sounds like you got a chance to experience some of what we love here in the summer. Our flats have some beautiful fish in them, and when they spread out into those areas, it's fly time. Sunny days don't always produce the best strikes, and sometimes it's just easier sight casting on a cloudier day. You have to be patient, and like Elmer Fudd be very very quiet - if you are on shore, no big deal, but if you are in a boat, try poling around, you don't stand a chance with your motor going. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.