Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fishing Blue MArsh Lake which has wipers and some stripers. Is there any reference material around that might explain the seasonal migrations, preferences of inland stripers and wipers. I would like to be able to predict what they might be doing at various times of the year. I was out today(3-6) and marked fish in 25 - 35 feet, some were suspended others seemed to be relating to bottom contours and structure. Some pods of alewives were also marked close to the stripers. water temps ranged from 39 - 45. Aside from live bait, what might I try to entice these fish? When do they move up into the warmer water?

·
Registered
57 Posts
basser,

It sounds like all the hard work is done. You found the bait and you've found the fish. If I were you, I would catch the alewives with a cast net and use them to catch the fish. Use a 6 ft. flourocarbon leader and a 3/0 daiichi bleeding bait circle hook. Hook a 3" to 5" alewive through the nostrils and lower him down to the fish. Put the rod in a good rod holder relax and dinner will be hooked before you know it.

Sometimes the active fish are the fish you are not marking though. In that case, I would bring the lines up about 10 ft and start pulling planner boards. Troll with an electric motor about .5 mph.

You can also catch them on a variety of artificails but this time of yr. I would use live bait and a slow presentation.

Good luck.

·
Wiper Guru
455 Posts
I'd get over the top of that herd of baitfish and drop a 3/8 oz to 1/2 oz silver Kastmaster down to them. Let it hit bottom, then bring it up about a foot and start slow bouncing it. If silver doesn't work, try gold.

Also, you might take a look at the wiper tracking study done by the Indiana DNR. There are numerous references to it that posted last year, and in that study they followed some tagged wipers for a year. It could provide you with valuable information.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.