Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday Nights middleweight championship matchup.
Bernard Hopkins / Jermaine Taylor

Hopkins cant get past the fact he lost the last fight. Sure he won 3 of the last 4 rounds of the first fight but he was shut out for 5 of the first 6.
I think taylor puts it all together this time for the whole fight. I love Bernard Hopkins skills and history as a fighter but Taylor is the whole package. I think he'll be even better from the last experience with Hopkins but if history proves anything it says this one goes to Hopkins just so they set up a rubber match and even bigger payday.
I still like Taylor UD. Should be a great fight.
Arkansas doesnt have a pro team but they do have Jermaine Taylor. icn___clap.gif

·
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers
4,759 Posts
Taylor lost that fight. Even the commissioners said so. So didnt 99% of the media surrounding the ring.

I despise bad decisions, and I hope Hopkins knocks his head off.

·
4,759 Posts
A draw wouldve been a robbery. The loss was a rape.

Get me fired up, and tie me to a chair and force me to watch my Yori Boy Campos vs. De Lahoya fight again th_icon_loll.gif Horrible judging is one of the main reasons why boxing's popularity has declined. They try to revive with shows like "The Contender", then your duped into watching it, then see more of the same.......idiotic fool judges handing wins to the loser. How bout that last Anthony "The Bullet" Bonsante fight against that clown Jesse? Jesse Clown lost every round, yet was given a decision.

I'll take the UFC. I've seen enough of boxings robberies for one life time.

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never saw the replay of the Bonsante fight. You'll get no argument about the judging from me. But JB 'a rape'? Watch the fight again and look closely at the first eight rounds. Being generous Hopkins gets only two.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
you will respect me! gotta piss hopkins off hearing him say that. sometimes you just gotta go out and let the leather fly and hope you can pull it out cause this kid is young and hungry and full of confidence. gotta say that hopkins has his hands full but i really never saw a smarter fighter in any situation. just getting too old to put up the good rounds with the kids. i got hopkins in the 6th with a tko

·
4,759 Posts
Yeah, it was a tough match to call. And I agree Zim that he shoulda just let it fly. It just proves that you shouldnt let things go to the judges.

The fight was very tough no doubt, but Hopkins won the last round. I think if its that "even" and "hard to call", the fighter who wins the last round and is not the challenger should probably get the nod. Boxing puts itself in a very pathetic position when judges make quetionable calls, ones so questionable that even Commissioners publicly say were wrong. That does not make the sport look good.

The Bonsante robbery was probably the most obvious, and blatant rip-off of all time. I say that over the DeLahoya rip off because the Oscar fight was longer. Watching Bonsante for half the amount of rounds, you didnt need to do as many calculations lol. When that decision was yelled over the mic, the place went bonkers. Stallone was livid, standing up and clenching his fists. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in my entire life pertaining to a sport. I LITERALLY felt sick to my stomach, literally. The guys doing the commentary for the fight were absolutely LIVID and just could not believe what was happening. One mentioned that things like this would make him retire. Truly disgusting.

Bonsante won every round, and lost. Thats not sport.

Then to make it worse, the Main Event for the belt was another rip off! That kid from New England won the fight! But they gave it to hometown (L.A.) kid! I can still hear the booooooooos. What a disgusting show.

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JB said:
That kid from New England won the fight! But they gave it to hometown (L.A.) kid! I can still hear the booooooooos. What a disgusting show
That was Segio Mora vs. Manfredi. That fight I saw and Manfredi definately got ripped.

Zim your right on target when you say he cant match the young dawg round for round any more but Hopkins is old school. I expect him to have some marvelous rounds but me thinks the kid weathers the storm.
I predict both are standing at the end and we will probably see a vast improvement from Taylor.

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry its late.

Replay Saturday Night December 11. 2005 HBO

A round-by-round account of the rematch between middleweight champion Jermain "Bad Intentions" Taylor (24-0, 17 KOs) and challenger Bernard "The Executioner" Hopkins (46-3-1, 32) in Las Vegas.

On the undercard:

Ike Quartey (37-2-1, 31 KOs) defeated Carlos Bojorquez (25-8-6, 21) after the referee stopped the fight with 48 seconds left in the 10th and final round of their junior middleweight bout. Quartey, formerly a world welterweight champion, landed a steady diet of punches to Bojorquez's body that prompted the stoppage.
After splitting their two previous bouts, Israel Vazquez (39-3, 28 KOs) stopped Oscar Larios (56-4-1, 36 KOs) in the third round after a Vazquez punch opened a deep gash over Larios' left eye. Vazquez, the WBC super bantamweight champion, successfully added the IBF version held by Larios. Vazquez, whose own belt was not at risk, stood only to gain from this bout, as Larios, at 135 pounds, exceeded the weight range before the fight began.
A short time after Vazquez's victory, the crowd cheers "Rocky! Rocky! Rocky!" during filming of scenes for Sylvester Stallone's sixth "Rocky" film. The Mandalay Bay audience is effectively warmed up in anticipation of the "No Respect" rematch between Taylor and Hopkins.
On a lighter note, singer R. Kelly's rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner" got the crowd moving somewhat, but quickly the mood shifted to the business at hand, the main event.
Hopkins, wearing an executioner's mask, enters the ring to the James Brown tune "This is a Man's World." Taylor then enters with a brief hop in his gait to rap music in the background. Hopkins keeps his mask throughout the introductions by Michael Buffer, but takes it off to stare down Taylor.

By David Cooper
ESPN.com

Round 1
Both fighters come out cautious, measuring one another. Hopkins if the first to be the aggressor. Taylor retorts by holding Hopkins and hitting him in the back of the head. Both fighters are quickly separated. Hopkins is throwing more punches but has yet to connect effectively. Taylor has yet to fire a significant shot until the final minute. He misses Hopkins on a combination. Neither fighter landed much.
ESPN.com scores it: Hopkins 10-9 Dan Rafael scores it: Taylor 10-9

Round 2
The slow pace continues into the second round. The crowd is getting restless. Both fighters appear to be waiting for an opening rather than forcing the action. Left hooks are exchanged, with Hopkins stumbling away. Both fighters resume digging in, matching blow for blow. Hopkins exercises patience, but Taylor attacks seconds before the round ends.
ESPN.com scores it: Taylor 10-9 Rafael scores it: Taylor 10-9

Round 3
After another stretch of waiting one another out, Taylor lands a left jab. Hopkins moves around the outside, Taylor maintaining caution. Both fighters appear to want to save their best for later. But the calcuations of the moment are testing the Mandalay Bay audience's patience. In the closing seconds, the fighters exchange flurries. Taylor comes out barely ahead

Round 4
The strategy headgames continue for the first minute of the round. Hopkins lunges in, only to be caught by Taylor counterpunches. The referee warns Hopkins about potential headbutting, and Taylor for holding. Taylor gets off a couple of left jabs. In the final 10 seconds, both Taylor gets the better of a brief exchange.

Round 5
Hopkins comes out slightly more aggressive, landing a right to Taylor's face, Hopkins' best shot to this point. Hopkins lands a body shot, and a left hook. Taylor retorts with a left-right. Hopkins is scoring but Taylor is not hurt. Taylor lands two quick left jabs. Taylor lands a straight right that connects. Taylor follows up with another quick combination as the round ends.

Round 6
At the midway point, Taylor remains true to his patient approach. Hopkins continues to move around, and manages to get in a right followed by a left. Taylor counters quickly, then follows with another shot that backs up Hopkins. Hopkins scores with a jab, but Taylor gets in two lefts in return. Hopkins lunges and misses, and Taylor takes brief advantage. Taylor is more confident in the left jab now. At the closing seconds, Taylor finishes with a flourish.

Round 7
Taylor gets to Hopkins with a series of lefts, then a series of rights as both fighters clinch. Hopkins lands a right. Taylor, however, still comes back with an answer. The referee separates Taylor from holding Hopkins, making repeated warnings to Taylor. Taylor throws1-2 combinations, but Hopkins makes him miss. The final 10 seconds, this time, generates less excitement.
ESPN.com scores it: Hopkins 10-9 Rafael scores it: Hopkins 10-9

Round 8
Hopkins comes out landing a right. Hopkins follows with another right, but Taylor lands a right in return. Hopkins lands a left, then is held by Taylor. The referee gets more involved in separating the fighters. This may work to Hopkins' advantage as he becomes the aggressor, and Taylor holds. Hopkins gets in a few body shots while the fighters lock up. Taylor lands a left. Hopkins lands a right, followed by Taylor body shots. Taylor closes the round with a solid right.
ESPN.com scores it: Taylor 10-9 Rafael scores it: Hopkins 10-9

Round 9
Both fighters continue to trade shots. Hopkins gets the better of the exchange, especially in light of Taylor opting to hold him. Taylor fires a combination but does not connect, but follow up with a right that does. Hopkins gets in a left, followed by a left-right. Taylor connects with a left hook. Hopkins scores with a hard right in the closing seconds, making a difference in getting an otherwise evenly fought round.

Round 10
Both fighters become more active, hurling shots with little impact. Taylor continues to fire lefts. Hopkins bobs and weaves, then lands a brief combination. Hopkins lands a right, intent on looking for more. The fighters clench, and Hopkins gets in two lefts to the face. Taylor lunges in as the round closes, but misses.

Round 11
Hopkins goes on the offensive, pursuing Taylor, landign sporadically. Taylor, however, lands several power shots that back up Hopkins. Taylor establishes command of the round in the second minute. Hopkins likely will need a knowckout at this point, as Taylor has stood his ground in this round. Hopkins connects late in the round, but Taylor responds.

Round 12
This is it. Taylor is ahead on the cards. Both fighters clench, and Hopkins appears to land a low blow to Taylor's groin. Taylor fires a left-right, but Hopkins manages to keep his distance. That does not stop Taylor from pressing the attack. Hopkins lands a right, and another. Hopkins goes for it, taking the fight to Taylor in the final minute. Both fighters trade punches. Hopkins' left misses, but Taylor's flurry connects. The round ends, each fighter claiming victory.

By unanimous decision, each of the ringside judges scored it 115-113 in favor of Taylor, who defends his undisputed middleweight title.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
yea, shoulda known he;d just get edged out, not too old or anything, just outworked and not enough stuff to keep the judges on his side. he has to be besides himself as reality sets in that he is not gonna beat the young kid.

·
Reports and Info Dude, Got a Little Captain in yo
1,619 Posts
Replay tonight December 10th.
It's a night of middleweight action when HBO World Championship Boxing presents the exclusive delay broadcast of Taylor-Hopkins II, followed by a live 12-round battle between Winky Wright and Sam Soliman.

Winky Wright
49-3, 25 KOs

Sam Soliman
31-7, 12 KOs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts