Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for a thread about this but couldn't find any. I've been doing some reading about the Raritan Bay area, and this author seems very big on sandworms for the early spring. I've heard of using bloodworms but has anybody had any luck with sandworms?

18,706 Posts
Ive used sandworms for years sadlz in the raritan. This has been my experience. Very early spring bloodworms is a must. It seems they wont touch anything else. Then its clams and sandworms and when the bunker show up its bunker, but sandworms will still work.
Its a subtle pull so you have to be holding on to the rod to feel the taps.
There were nights I insisted on bunker and catch 4 or 5 nice sized fish when my brother would stick to sandworms and haul in 30 or so schoolies.
Its all we used in late fall. The last few years the bunker has been around till late November so the need for using sandworms was less.

· LunkHead
1,081 Posts
Worms

I have a question about fishing worms, I've only bought real worms once, and did not have any luck with them, but my question is this:
What size/type of hook do you use for these critters?
The 7/0's I had on hand appeared a mite large for the job at hand, and then, how do you rig your worms? I usually hook them several times thru the middle, kind of threading them onto the hook, and leave 2 wiggling ends hanging off a bit, but is this a natural presentation?
Works great for the sunnies in the reservoir, but stripers might be a bit different.....

Ed

18,706 Posts
Ed I've used 5/0s and smaller. Usually just below the head and thread it for about an inch or two. The rest is for dangling. Many of em get stripped. Thats why holding the rod is important. Dead stickin worms can be a waste of time although sometimes a fish will hook itself.

3,471 Posts
sadlsorz said:
I've heard of using bloodworms but has anybody had any luck with sandworms?
I've done just as well with sandworms as bloodworms and vica versa. If I'm not digging my own I'll usually buy whichever ones are bigger or in better condition at the shop. If I am digging my own I'll use tapeworm over either sandworm or bloodworm (it's a secret weapon bait for winter flounder ;) )

With the prices of worms through the roof, a few of my friends have been using a combination or the Berkley Gulp sandworm and a fresh worm on the same hook and have done very well. Problem is the things sell out of all the stores and become harder to get then cheap live worms.

I'm glad you brought this subject up - guess what i'm going shopping for tomorrow thumbsup.gif

3,471 Posts
Re: Worms

Ed White said:
I have a question about fishing worms, I've only bought real worms once, and did not have any luck with them, but my question is this:
What size/type of hook do you use for these critters?
The 7/0's I had on hand appeared a mite large for the job at hand, and then, how do you rig your worms? I usually hook them several times thru the middle, kind of threading them onto the hook, and leave 2 wiggling ends hanging off a bit, but is this a natural presentation?
Works great for the sunnies in the reservoir, but stripers might be a bit different.....

Ed
Worms are the only bait that I rig with a float. Fishfinder rig - 24" to 30" 25# Flouro leader, natural cork torpedo float pegged right up against a 6/0 J style baitholder hook. I don't use circles with the float as I'm afraid the float will impede the way the circle works and cause more missed hits.

First worm is threaded on the hook and slid all the way up to cover the shank. The next worm (or few worms if they're small) are hooked once through the head.

· Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was going to be my next question about the Gulp Worms. Did your buddies ever use them totally by themselves?

=SudsyI'm glad you brought this subject up - guess what i'm going shopping for tomorrow thumbsup.gif
My thoughts exactly.

3,471 Posts
sadlsorz said:
That was going to be my next question about the Gulp Worms. Did your buddies ever use them totally by themselves?
Yes, and they caught fish. Not as well as with the live one also but they did catch fish.

· Registered
5,925 Posts
sandworms you can do without
when all the crabs are about.
best for weakfish in the summer with the berkley gulps but as far as i'm concerned a waste of money.
i cut em up for porgies and hope for a keeper for live bait. then your talkin bassy!

· Premium Member
5,899 Posts
Hmm,, I've been digging around and I can't seem to come up with any good pictures. Being from the midwest, I don't know if I've ever seen a sandworm or a blood worm. I used sea worms last year for the first time on T&W rigs and did so-so with them.

Does anyone have any good, maybe side-by-side, photos of Sandworm-Bloodworm-Sea Worm so those of us not from around here can see what the difference is?

3,471 Posts
Did you see the new King Kong movie? The scene where the worm with the pincer jaws grabs the guy by the head and swallows him, that was a giant sandworm.
:zoinks:

· Registered
30 Posts
help asap!! :p

going fishing tomorrow at sandy hook in new jersey and i cant decide if i should use clams, or blood/sandworms.....

when i use clams i usually use a size 7 hook[same for bunker]

now when using just worms, do i use a smaller hook such as a 5?

i always use the 7inch hook with a 24-36inch leader to a swivel and use a fish finder with a 3-5oz weight.

any advice for tomorrow?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.