Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm in the market for a couple good sand spikes and I'd like to get some recommendations. What has worked for you? What hasn't worked for you. Etc. I looked at a couple at Wal-Mart the other day, but they were too small in diameter for my rods and looked pretty puny anyway. I've heard that some guys use PVC pipe, but unless it's attached to something that you can push down deep, I wouldn't think it would hold too well.
Any suggestions??

·
Veteran Elite
711 Posts
Depends on what type of beach you are fishing. If there are any rocks around, you're better off to use the aluminum spikes. They can fit into a jetty and push into sand quite easily

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
get 2" dia. pvc 2 1/2 foot long = a two foot length of 1 inch metal angle. some people drill holes and use through bolts to secure the angle but you can use hose clamps as when you break down your gear you loosen the clamp and slide the angle to be more compact. sand or rocks it will work fine. i did have angle that was welded with a cross t at the base of the pvc so i could just step on it like a pogo stik and it shot right into the sand. way too easy to make your own stuff dude

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Zim,, that sounds better than just trying to stick PVC into the ground. Easy enough to make. Too bad I sold my welder before I moved here. I could whip up something nice!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I stand by my $2:00 PVC spikes I bought at Surfland...
Never have I had a problem...and they clean up really easy, don't rust and I couldn't break one if I tried... :D

·
3,471 Posts
I took a lesson from a friend and replaced my PVC spikes with heavy aluminum ones.

He was plugging with one rod and had the other dead sticked in a PVC spike. A big fish hit, his rod flexed hard, so did the PVC. Two bounces and the rod was gone, spike was still in the ground tight and vertical. Happened so quick he never had a chance. Anyone dredges up a Lami/Stella combo in Raritan Bay, I know whose it is.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
if i'm pluggin i'm pluggin. if i'm chunkin, i'm chunkin. i would (even with a titanium spike) never walk away from my rod if i know there are fish out there. i've seen it happen several times in different situations and it never ceases to baffle me, expensive setup to lose from your pal. i would cringe at that spectacle.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Bait runners

If you use a reliable baitrunner spinning reel or a baitcaster on free spool with the clicker any rod holder will do. It's the only safe way to dead stick if you're not right there paying attention. Otherwise lots of missed fish and possibly lost rod. That stella loss must have hurt--ouch...Must have been a $600 loss!

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah,, that must have hurt. I always make a point of either loosening my drag, or putting the reel in free spool when I'm not holding on to it firmly. I'm going to stop by Home Depot tonight after work and pick up the fixins for a couple spikes. Gotta have somethin put together by Saturday morning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts