Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

River Herring

Tags
herring river
3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  onDriver 
#1 ·
Now that all the excitement is over (in the Hudson), it would be a good time to try and get a handle on our Herring runs and their importance to Stripers.

I've talked with Cathy Hatala, Hudson River Estruary, (gotta love her) over at the DEC in New Paltz and gotten some good info on the sate of the estruary and even with all the wealth of info at her fingertips when I ask her about the herring runs she gives me a basically brush off answer that its us fisherman or the commercial fisherman that are depleting the stocks, I don't get any hard figures out of her, now I can understand her playing her cards close to the table, but you gotta guess she knows nore than she's telling. Yea maybe some of the runs are being depleted, but maybe not all of them.

I know that some New England States (how bad is it?) have banned Herring fishing but whats going on south of us in the Delaware, Chesapeake, Pamlico?

Herring (for those that don't know) are like salmon they go back to their natal streams to spawn, so it seems that if the majority of the run is interdicted in some way, we all loose out.

All of us who fish for Stripers have information some personal some hear say but if we throw all we know into the pot we should come up with some usable information.

If we can pick each other's brains on what we know we'll all be better fishermen/women.

From the reports and other postings I recall that Black Creek in Ulster county which always had a good run was lacking this year, but up in Troy they were plentiful. The Rondout had some herring and shad show up but were they there in any numbers? I know Moodna Creek in Orange County usually has a good run, but did anyome hear if it did this year?

I'm sure any big enough small trib upstream of the salt front and maybe even some below have runs.

This would be a good place to post all we know.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm relatively new to Ct, Nine years up here. The herring are less and less every year. I hear of the amount of herring in the rivers in May and todays runs are sad. The herring pop. is way down, from years ago.

#3 ·
Good Topic.I for one fish the Delaware river between the PA.and N.J.sides in the Trenton area to give a better idea.During the run I have been doing it for quite some time not as long as some of my friends and YES the numbers are going down.It seems they are being caught more in other spots than the normal areas that we all know.Another note I did much better using the herring as chunks bait than liveline go figure that. :BenNudd: The Stripers I have caught this year and my friends were all nice quality fish I am talking 30 to 40 pound fish 40" plus inch fish loaded with eggs.More to come means less herring as well.The Stripers are eating good.Just my input if it helps.By the way when using chunk the head is like gold. thumbsup.gif

#4 ·
#5 ·
Location, date, and water temp.

These are probably the key factors, location, date, and water temp to predicting when we ought to start looking in the spring. I'll go back and do some searchs and post what I find out.

A friend of a friend who practically fished every night this last spring claims that herring started showing up end of March in the mid Hudson.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.