Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Reels. Shimano Vs Penn Which manufacturer do you prefer for reels?

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guys,

Bought these two reels. The Shimano was roughly $160, while the Penn was $140. I was looking at how they compare online but there is only really the stats and stuff available and no real forum of actual fishermen comments are available.

I was wondering has anybody used these reels ? And, also, How does the PENN rate against the Shimano which is apparently better? ( I heard some bad stuff about the PENN real just after I bought it)

Ps The type of fishing I do is just from the rocks, using herring and Mack chunks, mostly into small inlets where i let the current take the bait until the line stops rippin off the reel.....then wait.

Comments?

Editorial on the PENN 5600

East coast tackle Shimano stradic

Fin-Nor!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Personally, I am a fan of the Shimano series its reels have always worked best for me, especially Shimano Baitrunner D, it is my best saltwater reel. I also recommend it to my friend and he bought one but that didn't work for him may be he hasn't spooled it properly or didn't use a proper rod with or most probably bought it from the wrong place, all I remember is his phone call saying" it's a gross"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Personally, I am a fan of the Shimano series its reels have always worked best for me, especially Shimano Baitrunner D, it is my best saltwater reel. I also recommend it to my friend and he bought one but that didn't work for him may be he hasn't spooled it properly or didn't use a proper rod with or most probably bought it from the wrong place, all I remember is his phone call saying" it's a gross"
well its a bit confusing that should I call it a sad story or a funny one, but its quite obvious that you have the best saltwater reel so if you don't mind split😅 it out from where you bought it because same happened to me like your friend , a faulty reel came in my parcel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well its a long story.....I bought total two shimanos in my life one 15 years ago and 2nd 1 year ago, talking about the recent one which I bought ,I was reading reviews on different sites and I opened a link and I was landed on amazon and I bought it...Tada😂 so I can't directly link to seller but I can refer you the website it was something like fishing life....ummmm let me check oh yes!! go here and buy what you like the best saltwater spinning reels for this season of 2022

·
Registered
5 Posts
well its a long story.....I bought total two shimanos in my life one 15 years ago and 2nd 1 year ago, talking about the recent one which I bought ,I was reading reviews on different sites and I opened a link and I was landed on amazon and I bought it...Tada😂 so I can't directly link to seller but I can refer you the website it was something like fishing life....ummmm let me check oh yes!! go here and buy what you like the best saltwater spinning reels for this season of 2022
Thanks John for this favour👍

·
Registered
43 Posts
Penn, I still have some from when my dad bought them for me in the late 50's early 60's. I like that there esy to work on and maintain. I do have a Shimano stradic, I like the real , smooth, but not easy to work on. Penns have never let me down. The only one I'm leary on is my Slammer IV 6500 , it cast great but the drag is eratic, lt's like it has 2 stages to the drag. But it gets the job done. Tight lines.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts