Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Reels. Shimano Vs Penn Which manufacturer do you prefer for reels?

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
FIGURES YOU HAVE A BUNCH OF SHODDY REELS TO SEND OUT. wow, since you bought a baitrunner you are giving away the trusty calstar rod and reel? what about the trusty zebco you so sadly covet? if you were offended by the handicapped kid outfishing you then you should change your diaper sissy boy, lmfao:lff3:

·
will work for stripers
2,530 Posts
not offended at all..just glad to have the opportunity to bust your balls a bit..as well as enjoy the nut crackin efforts comming from you..the googan master...funny how you mention calstar..figures you would know the maker of the ultimate "powerhouse" reel....jim tells me you got a few of those calstars mounted on your prized ugly sticks and shakespear "bigwater" rods....the reel that i have is way to good for me...its built from superior, aircraft grade, polypetroliumsodiumcarbonaterubberized alloy for optimum performance and it even has the high tech "lock down" drag system..as line peels off the spool..the drag automatically tightens for excellent stopping power.

·
will work for stripers
2,530 Posts
i figured you were just continuing with the ball bustin...i actually find it funny.....yeah..i do anylize things WAY TOO much...i am often told that... you may see that as a negative point of view..but to me its funny, and not negative at all..i think i have a pretty good sense of when someone is actually trying to offend me..i dont get that vibe from you at all...im told i have a sick sense of humor...hey...funny is funny to me..yeah i find a lot of things funny, while many people find those same things offensive.....too effin bad....

·
Registered
5 Posts
i scored a penn8500ss and its a beast. i brody fish with this reel. plus im from PHILADELPHIA:cwm10: just like PENN.keep the $ close to home, so its how we do...ALWAYS NEIGHBORHOOD NEVER HOLLYWOOD.usa2.gifusa2.gifusa2.gif

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
yea, my wife commented i shoulda held it up with other hand (or not taken a pic at all with that dink) got hurt at work week before and all three fingers were like that. aint livin till ya crush the digits!

·
(formerly brian21johansen)
975 Posts
I have a Penn and a Shimano......the Penn seems more reliable and like it will last longer.....a workhorse as some call it. But at the same time, the shimano is a lot "smoother".....smoother drag, smoother operation.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
41 Posts
shimano is definately a smoother reel but the penns are are the gm of the sea. penns are easy to clean, easy to tune-up and relatively easy to get parts for(at least around this way). anyway, found you guys a few months ago and this is by far the best fishing site around.

·
3,471 Posts
Hey Zim,

Was looking at those fingers of yours. Looks like someone has taken a hammer
to them or is that some sort pf torture you practice...

Zing...

--cal
It's black nail polish - Didn't you know Zim is Emo/Goth ?
The saltwater spray washed off the black eye makeup and tiny black tears

·
Registered
7 Posts
I only wish I was gonna be around 50 years from now. I would like to see just which reel was still around and still fishing - the Penn or the Shimano.
My money is on the Penn.
I fish most every day with a Penn squidder made before WW2 that belonged to my Dad.

OH the Bass taken with that reel.

·
Lunker
467 Posts
Penn and Shimano both super reels reliable, cost effective,
the Okuma is pulling in there at a close 3rd....at a better price also.

Van Staal If youre giving it away I will take it otherwise I wouldnt buy it....even if I had the cash!!!!........

·
First Mate
1,198 Posts
I couldn't vote, there are too many unmentioned variables to take into consideration

Depend a LOT on the Penn, some are great like the Greenies and Z's and some are crap like a lot of the new made in China models.

The exact same can be said for Shimano, the low end reels are real trash and will be lucky to be in one piece at the end of their first season in the surf while the higher end stuff can be pretty nice and will last for years (just try not to dunk em too much)
What are the better models of Penn and Shimano? We won't need to mention the models that don't make the cut. I have, and like my Shimano 4500 and it sounds like the 3500, 4500, 6500's are all good.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts