Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Reels. Shimano Vs Penn Which manufacturer do you prefer for reels?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not sure one i b ought for about 60 bucks(for freshwater) and 2 diferent ones on 2 different charter boats all 3 of them had major freeplay ,Ive snapped the base off a cheepo penn silverado and broke tha handle on a captiva 5000 liveliner but no freeplay on either and no probs any other penns

·
Registered
86 Posts
If ur gonna compair the reels be fair dont put $30-60 penn reels from wally world up against $200 shimanos. Yeah low end penns are junk but so are the low end shimanos. There both made overseas only diffence is their eyes slant slightly different.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The reel was a sedona. Put it this way I wont be buying another. A 60 reel shouldnt have freeplay. I started with shakspear alphas and they dont even have freeplay in the anti-reverse.

A penn fan will tell you shimano and diawa are junk. A shimano fan will tell you penn and daiwa are junk. A diawa fan will tell you penn and shimano are junk. If my wife would allow Id probably buy a VS and say there all junk. Then again ive head of them breaking once in a while too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts