Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Reels. Shimano Vs Penn Which manufacturer do you prefer for reels?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
THUNNUS!, YOU CAN DO MOST PLUGGING AND CHUNKING. I'M A RATHER STOCKY GUY SO PLUGGING WITH A REEL THAT SIZE WOULDN'T BOTHER ME BUT WOULD KICK SOME LESSER MANS ARSE! BUT THAT BABY CASTS WELL. IF YOU ARE GONNA SHELL OUT HUNDREDS FOR TACKLE THE THUNNUS IS AROUND 250-280 DOLLARS. AS BAITRUNNERS GO I ALWAYS WOULD'VE PREFFERED THE MEATIER REEL. WENT INTO MICHAELS AND SAW A VAN STAHL ON THE COUNTER WITH A BROKEN HANDLE! SO MUCH FORE DURABILITY ON A 6 LB BLUEFISH, SO EVEN THOUGH IT IS AN EXTREMELY WELL MADE REEL IT HAS IT'S FLAWS. (YEA SOMEONE WILL COMMENT( factory defect) :shrug:

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
chunker doesn't like my pier experiments, however he will shi# when i tell him i got a doubleheader of weakfish on one of these experiments. and yes one googan with a baitrunner got victimized by my jug experiment but then again it was one less pole in the water getting in the way lol :lol:

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
if you are retired or have all the time in the world to fish then you should by all means afford yourself the Van Staal and a nice lami plugging rod! but after seeing the broken van staal i would be hesitant to spend that kind of money on it.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
FIGURES YOU HAVE A BUNCH OF SHODDY REELS TO SEND OUT. wow, since you bought a baitrunner you are giving away the trusty calstar rod and reel? what about the trusty zebco you so sadly covet? if you were offended by the handicapped kid outfishing you then you should change your diaper sissy boy, lmfao:lff3:

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
yea, my wife commented i shoulda held it up with other hand (or not taken a pic at all with that dink) got hurt at work week before and all three fingers were like that. aint livin till ya crush the digits!

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
keep us posted about the sargus reel as we have not evaluated the new penn. that handle worries me as i can bet it is cast aluminum and not solid. take off the bail knob and what is the bushing made out of? brass i am betting.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
so rick, you already have a shimano baitrunner(s) and you seem to like them awfully well as your plug (which i have yet to test) is currently top three in the zim plug contest. the true winner is it;s swimmability and how they work in the water. i have but one left to receive before i take em all out and do an eval./ perhaps jim will come down and toss some out with me. will hope to do it begining of next week.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
4290 won. rick's plug was sweet and it was my first choice (till i swam the 90 and i gotta say it was friggen pissah. i just had to make that choice as when you see it in action you will know why. i think rickski knows he built a premium plug/ i had to get everyones out there and fish em./ they were all great and even though i think jimi thought i would give it to rick as he saw the plug himself, the little booger made one that had every aspect on size/color/shape/and action. it was just a mind fu#$ if i woulda cast all of em with say 20 lb test the smaller plugs would not do as well as the larger versions. the tapered leader i use when plugging gives the plug better action imo. so congrats again to 90 for the win.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
don;t be so hard on your plug as i would know not to fish certain spots with it for that reason. it sits right on the top and that was half the battle. peanut bunker are just now showing up. your plug will fare well when they get a little bigger (or) an injured snapper. it shows how well you have excelled already. i won;t waste it on bluefish so i will chuck it out in the fall when the heavy ladies return

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
silverado/captiva/any new penn concoction i would throw out with the bathwater. junk. if you notice the baitrunner will have that "freeplay" for lack of better word, as when you disengage the freespool by turning the handle you A. have the small amount of "line out" which will give you the sudden snap as this is caused by the force of setting the hook while there is too much line (very little), but when using braid it is enough to shock the business end and, force x weight x etc etc etc. B. that can be avoided by disengaging the freespool by flipping the baitrunner lever up as if you turn the handle you also move the line just ever so slightly and it is all a fish needs to feel rubbing against it's jaw. after all that is what the thing was designed to do. not many people know how to actually use that reel. never ever ever turn the handle when bass fishing with any reel (pet peeve and i yell at anyone baitfishing when i see these mistakes) sure there are those who catch fish playing around with line management but for the most part big fish don't get big being stupid. you need to pay out just enough line before she gets spooked by the line. that will happen when she turns/moves off/moves in "sneak attack -(thanks jigman wherever you are) etc. catches more fish yes! loses more fish yes! win win situation for some but lose lose for the REAL fisherman with no patience or room for error. sorry for the run-on sentences again sudsy!!!!!! i get carried away

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
every reel has a tolerance. most brands have discounted/middle of the road/good/excellent models. sedona? :smiliedoh: ... i have owned/used/repaired/and threw out my share of reels. all i am saying in this regard is buyer beware and do some soul searching when it comes to tackle. i would like to say "buy this fella" but since there is a large variety and sometimes money is the question. a used reel of substance on ebay could be alot better than a brand new piece of crap of the same price range. i wanted to know how that sedona went when someone bought it a while back but nobody gave an evaluation on it for us.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts